Users unable to log in to edit profile

Hello,
I have two questions about user accounts on my multisite network:

1. How is it possible for a user to create a site later, if they have elected at first only to create a user account? I am not clear on how they are able to do this if all they can do is access their profile page. Am I missing something really obvious, or is it not possible for users to add sites to an account after the fact? Do they have to create a new account in order to add a site?

2. Users are apparently unable to log into their profile pages on my network at the moment. I have created a test user account, then logged out and attempted to visit the profile page. I can log in through /wp-login.php but receive "You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page" when attempting to edit the profile page. Can someone assist me in figuring out what is going on here? I have tried clearing the cache already, as well as using different browsers, but this did not help.

Thank you--

• Milan

Hello William Kowalski

Hope you are well today and thanks for asking us. :slight_smile:

Let's go bit by bit to answer your question well. :slight_smile:

1. How is it possible for a user to create a site later, if they have elected at first only to create a user account? I am not clear on how they are able to do this if all they can do is access their profile page. Am I missing something really obvious, or is it not possible for users to add sites to an account after the fact? Do they have to create a new account in order to add a site?

Yes is it certainly possible, if you have not restricted that user with some kind of capability hack. ! All you need to have setup is this setting as Network admin. Network Admin > Settings > Network Settings > Registration Settings this way,

By default, WordPress MU will assign "Subscribe" role to each newly created user and they should be able to create new site if you have setup Registration Settings of your main network the way shown in screenshot.

2. Users are apparently unable to log into their profile pages on my network at the moment. I have created a test user account, then logged out and attempted to visit the profile page. I can log in through /wp-login.php but receive "You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page" when attempting to edit the profile page. Can someone assist me in figuring out what is going on here? I have tried clearing the cache already, as well as using different browsers, but this did not help.

You are saying, when you login in again, you are getting "User have not sufficient permission to access this page" warning on profile edit page right ?

What role that user has ? or its happening with admin user ? May I ask you to enable support staff access to your site via Network Admin > WPMU DEV > Support > Support Staff > Grant Access ? It will help me to understand issue better way. Also I'd like to install User Role Editor so am I allowed to do so ?

Looking forward to hearing back,
    Cheers,
    Milan

• William Kowalski

Milan

With regard to Network Admin > Settings > Network Settings > Registration Settings, it appears that I can EITHER allow logged-in users to create new sites, OR I can allow people to create new accounts/new sites. I may not select both of those options at once, and they seem to be mutually exclusive.

If I select "Logged in users may register new sites," then from the wording of that setting it appears that new visitors cannot create new accounts or sites, but sites can only be created by existing users. I do not want this, because my network is open to the general public and I want anyone to be able to create a site or a user account at any time they choose.

If I select "Both sites and user accounts can be registered," that would seem to suggest that people can EITHER register new sites, OR register new accounts, OR both, but in reality this does not seem to allow the option to create new sites if one is already an existing user who did not create a site upon initial account setup. This is the same problem I first contacted you about, just to be clear.

Am I misreading this?

• William Kowalski

Milan

Let me also explain why I am asking this. It appears I have many new users who are interested in my network but are hesitant to create new sites right away. I see that they are creating user accounts. My guess is that they are doing this with the intention of checking things out and maybe creating sites later. But my concern is that the current setup makes it very complicated or perhaps even impossible for them to do this, and so I will lose them as subscribers. Does that make sense?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.