Users with different roles in sites inside multisite


I thought that is possible to set up the multisite following way:
user A
- site 1 / the main blog page= custom user role ("calendar only")
- site 2 = editor

But it isn't it seems like the user A should have the correct right in site management, but when I log in and try to edit site 2 only the settings for the custom user role are active.

How I can fix it?

  • Predrag Dubajic

    Hi Karolina,

    It looks like your subsite user roles are not assigned properly to users and they will get same role as set on main site.

    What could be causing this I'm not sure, it could be one of your plugins so performing a conflict test by disabling your plugins would first thing to try, and there's also quite a few things outdated on your site, WordPress itself and over 20 plugins as well so I would also suggest getting everything up to date to check the behaviour after that.

    Best regards,

  • Karolina

    Hi Predrag, I updated everything what I could (only one premium plugin has left), however, it had no impact on my problem.

    This function is creating the new user role, if you could check it for me it will be great:

    // Add a custom user role - kalendar
    add_role( 'kalendar', __('Kalendá? (only)' ), array(
    	'read' => true, // true allows this capability
    	'edit_posts' => false, // Allows user to edit their own posts
    	'edit_pages' => false, // Allows user to edit pages
    	'edit_others_posts' => false, // Allows user to edit others posts not just their own
    	'create_posts' => false, // Allows user to create new posts
    	'manage_categories' => false, // Allows user to manage post categories
    	'publish_posts' => false, // Allows the user to publish, otherwise posts stays in draft mode
    	'edit_themes' => false, // false denies this capability. User can’t edit your theme
    	'install_plugins' => false, // User cant add new plugins
    	'update_plugin' => false, // User can’t update any plugins
    	'update_core' => false, // user cant perform core updates
      'manage_options' => false,
      'edit_dashboard' => false,
      'upload_files' => true,
    	'edit_tribe_event' => true,
    	'read_tribe_event' => true,
    	'delete_tribe_event' => true,
    	'delete_tribe_events' => true,
    	'edit_tribe_events' => true,
    	'publish_tribe_events' => true,
    	'edit_published_tribe_events' => true,
    	'delete_published_tribe_events' => true,
    	'edit_tribe_venue' => true,
    	'read_tribe_venue' => true,
    	'delete_tribe_venue' => true,
    	'delete_tribe_venues' => true,
    	'edit_tribe_venues' => true,
    	'publish_tribe_venues' => true,
    	'edit_published_tribe_venues' => true,
    	'delete_published_tribe_venues' => true,
    	'edit_tribe_organizer' => true,
    	'read_tribe_organizer' => true,
    	'delete_tribe_organizer' => true,
    	'delete_tribe_organizers' => true,
    	'edit_tribe_organizers' => true,
    	'publish_tribe_organizers' => true,
    	'edit_published_tribe_organizers' => true,
    	'delete_published_tribe_organizers' => true
  • Predrag Dubajic

    Hi Karolina,

    I don't think there's an issue with that specific role, the issue here seems that the subsites can't grant new role to the user, so same user has same role on all your subsites.

    I checked your site and see that network update is not yet performed, could you please create a backup of your site and in network admin go to Dashboard and click on "Upgrade Network" to perform WP update for subsites and I'll have another look after that.

    Best regards,

  • Predrag Dubajic

    Hi Karolina,

    Thanks, I have performed few more tests and even though I can still see the issue on your existing subsite it looks like it works on new subsite I have created for testing.

    You can see this if you go to your main site, awgraph and wpmutest subsites, go to all users and search for wpmunew user.
    You will see that main site and awgraph both link to account on main site while on wpmutest is going to account for that subsite.

    It possible that one of the plugins is causing this and even though I activated them all on wpmutest subsite I didn't set up each one individually so it could be some specific setting causing this.
    I would suggest performing a basic troubleshooting on your awgraph subsite by disabling your other plugins and see if it then links to correct account page.

    Best regards,

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.