Using a coupon code for discounting ONLY the first year of a membership

Hello. I am using Membership 3.5.0.8 with PayPal Standard Payments. My membership mode is set to Serial at auto renewal every 1 year.

I added a 50% off coupon code that expires in a few days. I tried making a purchase using that coupon code and it worked great.

When the membership auto renews, does it renew at the original price of the membership, or at the 50% discounted price?

I am trying to determine if I can offer a coupon code for 50% off the first year, and then the price returns to the original price on the auto renew? Or if the user uses the 50% off coupon, does that price stay his membership price for automatic renewals forever (unless I manually go into PayPal and modify that user's subscription price?)

Thank you.

• Nick

Hello again @aristath,

Okay I think I understand. Before I implement this, I would like to confirm with just a few questions.

#1) If I create the 50% off coupon for the first year, I would set it up the way you have it in your screenshot. If I do this, in the Coupon settings would I need to set "Apply Coupon To" to be "Only Finite Levels?

#2) When the coupon expires, there won't be anymore 50% off for the first year. So then I wouldn't necessarily need the two levels of the subscription anymore...I would just need the Serial level for the per year renewal, correct?

If so, should I remove the Finite level from the subscription and only have the 1 Serial level?

Or is it better to keep both the Finite level and the Serial level, and just change the price of the Finite level to match the price of the Serial level (since there is no more coupon)?

#3) If I know a subscription will offer a coupon a couple times a year, should I create 2 separate subscriptions (exactly the same access, just different levels):
    a) one subscription with 1 level for Serial
    b) one subscription with 2 levels for Serial and Finite

Or should I only have the one subscription, and either leave the Finite level in regardless if there is a coupon or not, or continually edit the subscription to add or remove a Finite level whenever I want to offer a coupon?

Sorry for the questions, but I am looking for the best practices for the plugin.

Thank you.

• aristath

#1) If I create the 50% off coupon for the first year, I would set it up the way you have it in your screenshot. If I do this, in the Coupon settings would I need to set "Apply Coupon To" to be "Only Finite Levels?

Exactly.

#2) When the coupon expires, there won't be anymore 50% off for the first year. So then I wouldn't necessarily need the two levels of the subscription anymore...I would just need the Serial level for the per year renewal, correct?

Correct

If so, should I remove the Finite level from the subscription and only have the 1 Serial level?

Yeah, you could... But there's no harm in leaving it there either.

Or is it better to keep both the Finite level and the Serial level, and just change the price of the Finite level to match the price of the Serial level (since there is no more coupon)?

I'd say this is preferable.

#3) If I know a subscription will offer a coupon a couple times a year, should I create 2 separate subscriptions (exactly the same access, just different levels):
    a) one subscription with 1 level for Serial
    b) one subscription with 2 levels for Serial and Finite

Or should I only have the one subscription, and either leave the Finite level in regardless if there is a coupon or not, or continually edit the subscription to add or remove a Finite level whenever I want to offer a coupon?

You should use 1 subscription, and leave the finite level in at all times.
    This way, all you have to do is create a coupon. You don't have to edit the subscriptions each time you have an offer... That's counter-productive and the more edits you have to do the more likely there's a chanse of a mistake.
    Just leave everything in, and then create coupons when you want to offer something better for the first year (or for all years except the first one for example).

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.