Using a plug in to add a menu to my site

Hi, I am having difficulty adding a menu to my website (so visitors can click on an "About" page, a "Contact" page, and a "Home" page) Is there a plug in I can use to easily add one to my site? Thank you!

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Megan,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

There's no need to use any plugin to add a menu to the site as this is a core feature of WordPress. The number of menus available and their locations are determined by the theme that you are using but the general way of editing menus (adding items to it) is the same:

- login to your site's backend as an admin
    - go to "Appearance -> Menus" page
    - select the menu that you wish to add items to
    - "check mark" he items from the "repository" on the left and then drag them acrossthe menu on the right to put them in desired location

If there are more than a single menu available on that page, you will probably want to select to which of them you wish to add these new items. In this particular case that would most likely be the main menu of your site, so you would want to first select the main menu from the "Select a menu to edit" drop-down list. There'll be the "(Primary Menu)" phrase added to the main menu name.

Does this help or do you need further assistance? Let me know please.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Megan!

Would you mind if I took a look at your site's configuration? I could do this by accessing your site use a support access feature of the "WPMU DEV Dashboard" plugin but you would need to grant it for me first. Could you please do this?

Here's a guide on enabling support access so I could take a closer look:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Let me know when you are ready, please.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Megan!

Thanks for granting access.

I checked the site and you did everything right about the menu. There's however other issue and I"m wondering why it's happening:

The menu actually is there on the site but it's pushed far right beyond the right edge of the screen. Supposedly, this should be a panel that slides-in when you hover over it and when it's hidden there should be some sort of indication that it is there (a "menu toggle" icon).

I just spent a great amount of time on your site trying to find a cause for this odd behavior but no luck so far. I could try to "fix it" with additional custom CSS and this should work but that would be a workaround and I was trying to find out why the theme is not behaving the way it should instead of "overriding" this bad behavior. Eventually, if nothing else works I'll add custom CSS rules to move the menu in place.

However, before I get into it I'd like to ask you if there were any changes made to the theme: was it customized in any way by editing any of the theme files? If so, what has been done?

I also assume that this is a relatively new site so was it like that (no menu) from the beginning or did it just "disappeared" at some point?

Let me know please!

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Megan!

Thank you for your replay.

I just spent some more time working on your site and I must shamefully admit that the theme beat me. I rarely say that but I gave up at some point and instead of further searching for a cause I decided to go for a "heavy and dirty" workaround.

Here's what I did:

1. On the "Appearance -> Road Options -> Layout" page I switched the "Sliderbar style" to "Overlay"
    2. I've added some custom CSS to the "Custom CSS" field on "Appearance -> Road Options -> General" page.

As a result, menu is now there, it works and behaves "reasonably" :slight_smile: As long as it's relatively simple (no sub-menus etc) and there's no sidebars this should work fine. However, if you would like to develop your site into more complex design I would strongly suggest trying some other themes.

I hope that helps at least a bit!

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.