Using Access Levels in Membership

I am setting up my access levels for a new site, and I have an issue. This is for a visitor who is not logged in. I have a home page that has a list of posts, with a thumb, and an excerpt to the full post. I want a visitor to be able to see the home page, just to see an example of some posts, but when they click through to the actual post, I don't want them to see it. I tried restricting them by using a negative access level for categories, but the posts on the home page disappear because they are also part of the category. Any thoughts on how to accomplish what I am trying to do?

Thanks!

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi @mediastead

Rather than restricting access to the categories, could you not try using the "More tag" restriction instead?

That would not affect the display of the post excerpt on your homepage, which would also display on the post itself. But everything after the more tag would be restricted.

• mediastead
    • The Crimson Coder

Patrick,

Thank you for the reply. I did see that was an option, and I started using the more tag with positive result, however, just for the sake of argument ... this website is for a client, and this client may not like the fact that every time a post is created, they have to remember to use the more tag. Then again, some clients may like the control this gives. Just to complete the conversation, supposing there are clients out there that would love this method and some that would not, perhaps there is a way (if not now, maybe in future releases) to define advanced circumstances? Or a way to have a different home page for different levels of membership? Again, I am just speculating in order to further the conversation, but I can see needing or wanting a method that allows you to control the home page separately.

Thanks!

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi again @mediastead

Yeah, different homepages depending on membership level would be a good way to do it. But the problem is that there is no way to predict how theme designers will code their home pages, nor which template they will use.

You could try to create something like that yourself, with whichever theme you have active, by using the access level shortcodes. You can use them in your theme templates with the do_shortcode function too: http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/do_shortcode

• mediastead
    • The Crimson Coder

@Patrick Cohen,

I can't seem to get an answer on my other membership plugin question. Please, if you can assist me, I would greatly appreciate it. I am trying to get free and paid subscriptions to work together. The paid subscription I have set up is working great, but my free subscription is only refreshing the page and not actually signing a user up.

Please help! Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.