Using Automate with using Managed Backup

My hosting provider handles daily backups of my site. I’ve got Snapshot set up to take backups to a Google drive periodically, too. I’ve also got Automate set up to, well, automate things. I’d like to have Snapshot use the Google drive to backup just before Automate updates things, but it seems like I have to use the Managed Backup service from WPMUDEV for that. Can I use my Google Drive to store the backups that happen just before Automate runs?

It’s hard to justify paying for WMPUDEV storage space when I have PLENTY of storage space in two other places.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Jack Lavender

I hope you’re well today and thank you for your question!

Automate uses the Managed Backups tool of Snapshot Pro plugin and Managed Backups are always uploaded to The Hub. There’s currently no option to change that and select other storage location for the managed backup, I’m afraid.

You only can change the location for “Snapshots” which you can, of course, schedule but they are not triggered by Automate.

There are some serious improvements planed for future for how “snapshots” and “managed backups” work and how they can be configured, including an option to simply select location regardless what kind of backup you decided to run. Since it’s a big change (it also includes some really big code changes related to performance of the backup process) I think it might take quite some time and I’m not able to give you an ETA on this but when it “gets here” it should be more “configurable” and “elastic” :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Adam

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Jack,

Automate uses Managed Backups to take a backup, so because of that you can’t disable Managed Backups completely.

What you can do is go to Snapshot > Managed Backups > Settings tab and disable Scheduled backups, so you would still have Backups enabled for Automate to perform it when it starts the process.

Best regards,

Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.