Using AWS S3 to host images plugins

Hey there! I have a doubt which I'd like to know some expert opinions about. I recently added W3 Total Cache to my website in order to cache things and also I linked it to the Cloudflare CDN(free). To tell you te truth, I didn't find my site faster and I began to search for alternatives. I notice, in W3, the option to use Amazon S3 as a CDN and my research led me, also, to the plugin: http://wordpress.org/plugins/tantan-s3-cloudfront/ AND http://wordpress.org/plugins/amazon-s3-and-cloudfront/ (which was updated more recently).
I don't know much about those CDN things and I'm in doubt because I want to use a CDN but I don't know if I should use Cloudflare, W3's Amazon S3 option, or one of these two plugins I mentioned.
What are your opinions about it? Am I missing something here? Can I use Cloudflare AND Amazon S3 at the same time?

PS: I use an Openshift Wordpress instalation, but I'm considering this configuration for other sites hosted on shared servers and one on Heroku. Thank you!!!

• aecnu

Greetings andr___lucas,

Thank you for bringing this item to our attention and I admit I am probably not the one to answer this unless the truth is to be known - at least my perspective thereof - in which it is my opinion that it is all garbage except when applied on equally insufficient/under performing and/or throttled hosting.

On performance servers we found it to actually slow them down:
    http://webhostingvirtualdedicatedservers.com/days-testing-caching-work-fast-properly-configured-servers/

IF I had to choose one of them I would choose Cloudflare ... fortunately since I own a high performance hosting company this is something I do not need to do.

Good luck with your CDN stuff and thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• andr___lucas

Thanks @aecnu ! Most of my questions, in a way, are for study purposes. I want to understand how the web works and how tecnologies make it better or worse. I think W3 is good for host a wp site images as they ease the amount of load on the hosting service. Shared servers, even good ones, don't really score high on Google Page Speed Tests nor Blitz, at least on my tests, but mainly because modern WP themes are built with tons of customization on separate files and even more images.

The need for a high speed hosting service is becoming a basic requirement nowadays, but even the cheaper ones aren't that cheap. That's why I search for alternatives to begin like Openshift or Herkoku as they provide a Freemium start to newcomers.

Thank for all your answers Joes! :slight_smile: I'm glad you are giving my questions importance!

• aecnu

Greetings andr___lucas,

Thank you for your additional input and insight into what you have going on there.

I did some testing yesterday of blitz and found it is totally subjective of the site design and not so relative to the server and thank you for sharing that testing resource with me!

I intend to prove that it tells little about the server and everything about the site design.

Here are two case studies, screen shots attached below, and they both are on the same server and the same hosting account!

What is the difference - site design!

Solid proof that just as important is the server/hosting itself - site design is critical.

In the first case it clearly shows that the site can handle around 230,000 + hits a day and in the second case it shows the site can handle 4 million plus hits a day.

Once again what is the difference between the two sites and the only difference?

Site Design. Check it yourself - they resolve to the same IP and the same site - just the one is a sub site of the other.

In this analysis - the only thing it proves is how the server/hosting handles a specific site design.

And realistically - in any event, most people are lucky to see 100,000 hits a month!

Hopefully this plain truth testing will be an eye opener for many and the proof is in the pudding.

Have a GREAT week ahead!

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings andr___lucas,

Thank you for letting us know and sorry that you will be leaving us ... perhaps you should write to billing telling them I sent you and that maybe something special will happen to keep you in the community :wink:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

In any event, it was great to have you and also enlightening digging into the items we were venturing into.

Sincerely, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.