Using Blue Host for the web hosting, I set up Multi-site

Using Blue Host for the web hosting, I set up Multi-site with a main domain, set up sub sites and activated the domain mapping plugin. I have 13 sites set up, and want to point 13 unique domains (registrar is GoDaddy). I mapped each site to the domain and pointed (A records) the 13 domains to the IP at Blue Host, but the sites are not resolving. When I go to one of the domains, I get a, "There is no website configured at this address." message.

I've done this, successfully, on another server using ISPConfig - but for that account, I had to put in the 13 domains the Co-Domains section so they know which site is the parent site. I guess that is what I am missing in this setup?

I did read that I need to set up the Name Servers to point to Blue Host, so I did that for one site, and instead of the aforementioned message, I now get Blue Host's landing page. So it's either not fully propagated to the main site or I'm missing something.

There's also a message in my Super Admin Domain Mapping "Mapped Domains" tab, that lists the sites that are mapped and I see this under DNS Configuration:

Host Name: jmkcustomshutters.com
Record Type: CNAME
Value: IP not set by admin yet..

Are my external domains set up right? They need to point to the IP AND Name Server for the Blue Host account? Is my configuration set up correctly as far as the domain mapping plugin?

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @galfanodesign,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your questions.

I've done this, successfully, on another server using ISPConfig - but for that account, I had to put in the 13 domains the Co-Domains section so they know which site is the parent site. I guess that is what I am missing in this setup?

Yes i think you should try doing this.

Please make sure you have followed all the instructions described on the following page.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/#product-usage

Would you mind if I logged in to your site and did some troubleshooting? This might help get to the bottom of this faster. If this is ok, just grant me temporary admin access to your site by clicking "Grant Access" button in the WPMU DEV Dashboard Settings as described on the following page and reply on this thread after granting it?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Kind Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• galfanodesign

Hi Ash,

I tried adding them as parked domains to the main domain on the Blue Host account, but I get this message:

Sorry, the domain is already pointed to an IP address that does not appear to use DNS servers associated with this server. Please transfer the domain to this servers nameservers or have your administrator add one of its nameservers to /etc/ips.remotedns and make the proper A entries on that remote nameserver.

• Ash

Hello @galfanodesign

I hope you are well today.

Sorry, the domain is already pointed to an IP address that does not appear to use DNS servers associated with this server.

Does it mean you are using dedicated IP?

Let me simplify the procedure.

For example, your main site is network.com
    You have two subsites:
    1. one.network.com
    2. two.network.com
    These two subsites you want to map with following domains repectively:
    1. one.com
    2. two.com

So, if anyone enter one.com in the browser, it should show the site of one.network.com. Same for two.com

So, there are two scenarios now. Either you own all the domains, or you don't. First I think you own all the domains.

network.com site is hosted in a hosting whose nameservers are:
    ns1.networkhost.com
    ns2.networkhost.com

So, you have entered these nameservers for network.com domain panel. You have to set same nameservers for one.com and two.com domains too.

Then you will add one.com and two.com domains as add on domain in the same hosting of network.com, and make sure you point them to the network.com wordpress root folder. So that if any one enter one.com or two.com it shows network.com site.

After that, you will add the domains in corresponding subsites using domain panel plugin, and the mapped domain will start working.

Now, if you don't own the domains, then you will need a dedicated IP. I know you won't have access to the domain panel of your customers so that you can't set name servers in there. So, you will pass them you IP and they need to set a DNS record for their domain and point to that IP. Only then domain panel will work.

Please let me know about your scenario.

Cheers
    Ash

• galfanodesign

Yes, I own all the domains and they are all at GoDaddy. I've updated the name servers to point to Blue Host (where the main site is installed). The A records also point to the Blue Host IP for the main account. When I log into cPanel of the Blue Host main site account and try to add the other Go Daddy domains, I get that aforementioned error.

Is it because the A record in GoDaddy is pointing to Blue Host? Is it because it's possibly a shared IP? Where should the A record in GoDaddy point? Why can't I add these domains (parked or add-on) - I still get the same error:

Sorry, the domain is already pointed to an IP address that does not appear to use DNS servers associated with this server. Please transfer the domain to this servers nameservers or have your administrator add one of its nameservers to /etc/ips.remotedns and make the proper A entries on that remote name server.

I just tried pointing the A record for one back to the parked IP for GoDaddy so JUST the name servers were pointing to Blue Host, but when I tried to add the parked domain, I still get. the. same. error. Grrr...

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.