Using Categories instead of wikis on the sidebar widget

I have the full Wiki for my purposes I need to be able to display categories on the sidebar menu instead of wiki. The reason is I have different Wiki’s with different types of hardware each hardware type can be apart of different categories. I want to make a hierarchy showing the categories with the different hardware wiki’s that are relevant to that categories.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi @chris_smith3

Welcome to the forums!

As you have discovered, there isn’t a built-in widget for your purpose in the Wiki plugin.

As an alternative, you could try the List Category Posts plugin: wordpress.org/extend/plugins/list-category-posts/ It allows you to list pretty much any post-type you like, any way you like.

There is also the Taxonomy Picker plugin: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/taxonomy-picker/ which enables you to create a hierarchy of category dropdowns.for any post-type.

Hope this helps! And thanks for being a member :slight_smile:

• chris_smith3
    • New Recruit

I took a look at the List Category Post plugin but it doesn’t give me the option of listing Categories that I have made within the wiki plugin. It only shows Categories that I have created in the main WordPress section. The Taxonomy-picker looks to be just a search function where I was looking for more a menu system based on the categories that in the wiki. Maybe there is another plugin out there I will keep looking. I basically want to be able to make a sidebar menu in a hierarchical form with Various main Subjects and sub-subjects. Some sub-subjects would be listed under multiple top level subjects. Ideally it would be dynamically created as wiki information is added or removed but I could make a hard coded set of links but that would be hard to maintain.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Found another one: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/list-custom-taxonomy-widget/

But List Category Posts does allow you to specify, in the shortcode, what post-types to display. For custom post types, use the “any” parameter.

post_type – The type of post to show. Available options are: post – Default, page, attachment, any – all post types.

Then add the category IDs of the custom post types you want to display. You can see it working on one of my test sites here: http://etcemall.com/

The ads in the footer are CPTs and I’ve customized the heck out of the display so it only shows thumbnails, but it works.

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

Hiya, just going through some of the older threads here.

As it’s been a little while since we last heard from you I thought I’d check in to see how you’re going?

If you’re still looking for some further assistance with this thread then please feel free to reopen the thread or of course for any new and related issues you are most welcome to open a new thread.

Cheers!

Tom

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.