Using child themes with Pro Sites

Hallo,

I would like to provide my customers with out of the box done for you websites using Prosites.

My questions is can I create a child theme and set that up with the pages and content and make that (child)theme available to the customer when they purchase a pro level site from me?

If so any general pointers would be very helpful!

Many thanks,

Justin

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Justin,

Hope you’re doing well today!

It’s good practice to use a child theme just in general, especially if there are any customizations that you have made to any of the template files.

With that said, New Blog Templates would allow you to use the same theme on several sites and then set them each up uniquely and offer those setups as starter templates :slight_smile:

So you wouldn’t need a child theme, but I would still recommend using one just in-case you ever do want to make changes to the files.

You could even create a child theme for each template – then you can make customizations on a template level to any of your sites without affecting all of them.

Hope this helps!

All the best,

Tyler

• Justin
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi @tyler,

Thanks, yes in the end I figures out that New Blog Templates offers a great solution :slight_smile:

Working with WPMU DEV is like taking a walk in an enchanted forest. So many magical possibilities but so difficult to find your way :wink:

Now just praying that Pro Sites 3.5 will be released and I will enter the kingdom!

Best regards,

Justin

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

haha, yes there are a ton of different ways to use the plugins together and some aren’t so obvious. Glad you found New Blog Templates though :slight_smile: it was one of my favourites even before I became staff here – very useful.

I’m not part of the testing team for Pro Sites 3.5, but last I heard we are nearing the final testing phase – so I don’t want to jinx it and probably shouldn’t even being saying this, but it’s close!

Enjoy the rest of your day Justin!

All the best,

Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.