Using cloudflare with WPMU and Domain mapping

Hello,

Before I set up cloudflare I am wondering if it is possible for it to work using the domain mapping plugin. I know using subdomains works using the cloudflare plugin but what about domain names pointed at the servers IP as an A record?

• Vaughan

Hi @Darragh,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm trying to confirm this & have also asked one of our other staff @Jack Kitterhing for some feedback, but I think your mapped domains must point to your servers IP address. Also you must disable the domain verification check in Network dashboard > settings > domain mapping.

I know we've had issues with members trying to make domain mapping work with cloudflare in the past due to the way cloudflare works, but that was a while ago now. Hopefully Jack might know more as he has some experience with cloudflare.

Hopefully he should be along shortly.

Hope this helps

• wp.network

Hey this is good to see!

I am using CloudFlare with Domain Mapping on my (subdomain) network and thought I'd share a little.

I have kept the DNS entries at CloudFlare to the absolute minimum, generally only:

example.com : A : My Dedicated IP
    localhost : A : 127.0.0.1
    www : cname : example.com

I'll then progressively add ftp/mail/etc as needed to the domain's CF DNS settings.

I then 'park' the domain via cpanel at my host.

I have not yet tried to use my host's cpanel integration with CF, but plan to try and test this as I've thought it might make it easier for my host to help me sort things out as they come up.

I also use CF's page rules to carefully alter how traffic is cached and how much 'security' CF will apply... for instance to the admin area, via a pattern match rule.

I did not know, and hadn't thought to turn off the domain verification check setting in Domain Mapping. Any insight as to why this is needed in particular?

Cheers,
    Max

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Darragh and @Max,

Hope you're both well today! :slight_smile:

I did not know, and hadn't thought to turn off the domain verification check setting in Domain Mapping. Any insight as to why this is needed in particular?

Vaughan is 100% correct, you'll need to turn of domain name verification, because as your pointing the domains to your server IP, but your actually using Cloudflares the domains would always return invalid and possibly inaccessible.

Any issues at all, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.