Using CustomPress with Global Indexing and Search

Planning a new WPMU project and wanted to get some feedback on how this could work.

I am thinking of using CustomPress on the 'user' sites on a WPMU. All will have the exact same 'custom fields'.

What I would like is for each user site to list only their own 'posts' and 'pages' but the top level site (domain.com) to have a master search which searches all the user sites (posts / pages).

I'm guessing this will require global indexing and the global search plugins.

Does the Global Site Search plugin search custom fields?

Martin

• Martin Koss
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Thank you for your reply, David.

It was "custom fields" that I was asking about, not "custom post types".

I'll have a test with it next week but not sure it's going to do what I was hoping for.
    I was hoping that I'd be able to have more than the single 'search' field on the search form.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Ah, I see. I believe the custom post type search would of course search through the custom fields as well, but yeah, there's not a way to filter the search.

Please do feel welcomed to post a request to the feature request forum too.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/forum/feature-suggestions

I myself think WordPress could really use an encompassing search plugin at this point given the increased support for custom post types and taxonomies. And a search specifically for sitewide products for MarketPress has been a popular request, whereas this request would more than cover that one.

Cheers,
    David

• Martin Koss
    • The Incredible Code Injector

'Search' is surprisingly a weakness in Wordpress and sure does let it down when working with a lot of custom fields - as in what a plugin like CustomPress is for.

I've been looking at the classifieds plugin and others that could, ideally, work so much better with custom search / filtering. Say, for example, a classified listings site that has property and cars and 'trash for cash' would be a bit rough around the edges if only one search field was available and it searched through every classified post even though the person was only interested in cars.

I did come across a couple of search plugins on the WP site that do search custom fields and have the option of having custom filters in the 'search' form but they look unlikely to be able to search 'site wide'.

Oh well. Another great idea takes a place on the back burner!

Gosh - if only we were all on the same team - the ideas I have but I can't make them happen...

All the best.
    Martin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.