Using data from an external database.

We're in the process of setting up a social network for comic books and would eventually like to set up a Marketplace to sell and, possibly, trade comics. Ideally, we want to keep as much information the same across books as possible and would like to use data from the Grand Comics Database, which makes it's data available under a Creative Commons License, to that end.

We're aware that this is a daunting task and will most likely require some custom plugin or scripting but we were wondering if anyone here has done something similar and/or had some pointers they would like to share.

Cheers!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Delirium Comics,

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Ideally, we want to keep as much information the same across books as possible and would like to use data from the Grand Comics Database, which makes it's data available under a Creative Commons License, to that end.

You have made no mention of the format they offer the data in? CSV?

After visiting their site I did find where they mention the creative commons license but this was in strict connection to how they themselves are using copyrighted material.

All portions of the Grand Comics Database that are subject to copyright are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License. This includes but is not necessarily limited to our database schema and data distribution format

They further explain that their website is using GPL Licensed products for design, but no where do they mention a "database" nor licensing thereof.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• VC Nickels
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

The data dump is in both MySQL and PostgreSQL compatible dumps. The License is for the data not necessarily the covers as I understand it, which is fine. They have a few requirements for attribution obviously.

More information is available here http://docs.comics.org/wiki/Data_Distribution

Regardless of the source of the data and it's various licensing etc I'd be interested if anyone has done something similar. With WordPress being used more and more as a CMS I'd think something like this would be of interest regardless.

Cheers!

• VC Nickels
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thanks Joe.

Ultimately, it would be part of a MarketPress store, yes. What I'm looking for is something to give people a way to select an item across stores in a multisite set up to put in their store. Is that a possibility with MarketPress as is? I haven't tinkered much with MarketPress yet as some priories have shifted.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.