Using Directory Plugin With My Own Theme Framework (Headway)

I just joined WPMU dev and was pretty excited to add a business directory to my website, only to realise it's not very simple to add the directory to a different theme :slight_frown:

I have a couple of questions i was hoping you can help with:

1. should i use the old plugin and make all customisation there, or wait till a stable version of the beta is released. Will it be possible to simply update the old version to the new one, or is it like a completely different plugin?

2. i'm not a developer and dont want to hire one to enable usage of the plugin with my own theme framework (headway). So is there any place I can get an easy, step-by-step tutorial to do this. the instructions i've seen on the forums so far are too general for me to understand :slight_smile:

thanks very much!

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya!

We're actually directing people to the beta now, so can you try that please?

I'm afraid we can't really provide specific instructions for 3rd party theme integration I'm afraid as that goes to far from what we can really support here.

I'd be happy to try and answer questions you may have as you try integration though. Of course, success does depend on your level of expertise so if you're not confident coding I wouldn't try it.

Phil

• aapuri
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Phil,

Can i use the beta on a live/production site? Any indication on when a stable version might be released?

Regarding the theme integration, i really have no clue where to start :slight_smile:. What i want to do is have the directory on a page (not home page) on my website. Can u give me some general directions for how to do this? I'll then give it a try and see how it goes

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

It's always worth trying out on a test site first, as with any stable plugin if you're concerned about it impacting a production site. Stable is right around the corner!

As Directory uses custom post types you should automatically have a page at mysite.com/directory_listings which lists all listings, just like a category page lists posts.

You can easily create new template files for your theme that'll allow you to create a specific look and feel for the listings. Take a look here for a starter on that: http://codex.wordpress.org/Post_Types#Template_Files

Phil

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi aapuri,

I only just noticed this particular thread and since I use Headway pretty extensively, thought I might add something here.

First off, I'd highly recommend using the Exceprts+ Leaf if you have that. If not, there are still various ways of displaying Directory content, but that Leaf gives you a rather infinite amount of ways to customize Directory listings, especially the taxonomy archive pages (these pages list all the Directory listings on a category basis).

Also, the following shortcode plugin provides you with an easy way to display your taxonomy categories, using a shortcode, which you can display in a text leaf, for instance.
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/taxonomy-list-shortcode/

With that, you can basically emulate the Directory category listing.

Hope that helps a bit!

-David

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi aapuri,

Just checking if it was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that's great news.

If not, could you let us know by re-opening this topic, and we'll get onto it and helping you out asap!

Otherwise, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.