Using FV Top Level Categories with Membership Plugin

I tried using FV Top Level Categories with your membership plugin, in order to make /category/news into simply /news/

However, once I activated it. Anything in /category/news/ that was available to the user level (visitor) was no longer visible.

It was “allowed” in membership, and worked fine but once the url structure changes to domain.url/news/ the user visiting the page is sent to a non-member “this is protected content” page.

Any suggestions on alternative solutions or plugins, or workarounds?

– Tony

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Tony,

As that plugin essentially alters the slugs, I’m not sure how well that would work with Membership. Is it yielding the protected content page no matter the rules or membership levels you’re viewing with?

If it’s only affecting category based urls, have you tried maybe using URL Groups to restrict content given that circumstance?

Cheers,

David

• Tony
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Yes, it’s yielding the protected content no matter the rules or membership level I’m viewing with.

In fact, the only page that’s protected, is a submit form. I’m not blocking any categories at all.

So it’s odd. I’m guessing that the url rewrite is throwing it off and it’s giving a 404 page which shows as protected for some reason. However, this is only for visitors. As an admin or logged in user I don’t have any problem viewing the pages at /news/ instead of /category/news/

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Tony,

Just curious, did you try David’s idea of using URL Groups as a positive rule in membership for your guest level? It is odd that it would work for logged in folks, but not visitors.

I haven’t tested it myself, but if there was a membership-related issue, in theory, David’s suggestion should fix it.

Let us know.

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.