Using hook to add post carousel to Blog page section of Woothemes Scholar theme.

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer this query. I would like to add a post/page carousel or a similar widget (Event Expresso Upcoming Events) to a section of the Homepage template of the Woothemes Scholar Canvas Child Theme (for example the Featured Courses section or the Blog Posts section which list respectively, Featured Sensei courses and recent blog posts) and to only display this widget/carousel at the center of the section where the blog posts would otherwise be displayed. I would also like to add a signup button to the hero section of the Homepage template. I understand that I might be able to do the above using hooks but am not savvy enough yet to begin working with hooks right off the bat. I would be grateful for any assistance on the matter.

Many thanks,
MM

• faydra_deon

Hello, @team35:

There's a plugin called OpenHook that doesn't require you to know any code.

Here's a link: https://wordpress.org/plugins/thesis-openhook/

Once you activate it and navigate to it, you'll see information like wp_head, before wp_head, after wp_head and so on.

The trick I used when I was trying to learn how to use the plugin to put things where I wanted them was that I put simple text into several of the boxes, like where does this show if i use the field wp_head.

I always included the actually name of the location in the sentence, so I would know exactly where I could go in the plugin and make the real changes I wanted.

I hope this helps.

Faydra...

• team35

Dear Faydra,

Thanks so much! This plugin is a great find, but I wonder if you might be willing to give me a few pointers as to what commands to use in order to reproduce the scenario that I described in my earlier post. I have noticed that the Canvas theme includes similar built-in functionality where one would seem to be able to simply insert the needed commands . I would be grateful for any assistance.

Best regards,
    MM

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello MM,

Canvas is Woothemes paid theme and because I don't have access to this theme I would strongly suggest asking this question on Woothemes support forum - as they know best their themes they will be able to answer you quicker and resolve your problem.
    But you can also check plugin that Faydra suggested - it looks like good way to start playing with hooks.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• team35

Dear Kasia,

Thank you very much for your help. There is some pretty good documentation here, which Woothemes has provided me with in case you might be interested in taking a look:

https://docs.woothemes.com/document/canvas/#section-13
    https://support.woothemes.com/hc/en-us/articles/203106877-Canvas-Hook-Filter-Reference
    https://support.woothemes.com/hc/en-us/articles/203106657-Using-Canvas-Custom-Hooks-Practical-Examples

The idea would be simply to add a post carousel or widget to one of the predefined areas. I wonder if you might know where a good place to start might be? The post carousel plugin I am using is a Visual Composer add-on and the widget is included with Event Expresso.

Many thanks,
    MM

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello MM,

Thank you for the links, but without the access to the theme I'm in place like you - where to start. I can throw some ideas what would I do (I'm theme developer, so I would just code this into the child theme) - but every theme is different and things that would work for me could not work for you.
    For example - maybe there is some widgets area where you can add your carousel there and call to action button?
    Can you upload this theme to dropbox and send me link via our secure contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/ :

- Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Kasia Swiderska
    - Do not include anything else in the subject line, doing so may delay our response due to how email filtering works.
    - Link back to this thread
    - link to theme
    - Include any relevant URLs for your site

IMPORTANT: Please make sure you select "I have a different question" for your topic, so it doesn't go back to the forums - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Rupok

Hi team35

I hope you had a wonderful day.

I hope you don't mind me chimming in here. I just checked the canvas and scholar child theme and gone through the documentations you have provided. But from there, I could not find any hook to catch for adding a call to action button inside the header section.

But if you want to add your code (for carousel or anything) below the header section, then there is a hook called "woo_header_after". So you can use the following code block for adding content below the header:

add_filter('woo_header_after', 'below_header_content');
    function below_header_content(){
    echo'<section class="home-section sensei">';
    echo'<section class="featured-courses col-full">';
    echo'<header class="section-title">';
    echo'<h1>Your Desired Title</h1>';
    echo'<p>Desired Subtitle</p>';
    echo'</header>';
    echo'</section>';
    echo'</section>';
    }

echo or dynamically show your carousel code or anything under this line "echo'</header>';". This is how you can show carousel or any custom content under the header area.

Moreover, if you want to add a call to action button beside the search box in the header area, you can edit the functions.php file (though editing core theme file is not a good idea because all your changes will be lost when you update the plugin). Open your functions.php file inside your "wp-content/plugins/scholar" folder and go to line 584 and add the code below line 584:

<div style="margin: 2em 0">
        <input type="submit" name="wp-submit" id="wp-submit" class="button-primary" value="Log In">
    </div>

You can also use some custom CSS to align the button with the search box with the following custom CSS code:

.home-section.hero .hero-container {
      float: left;
    }

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.