Using Membership and Buddy Press, need help customizing registration page.

With all the plugins out there, it can get a little crazy.. I'm trying to customize the profile/account page but I'm not finding a lot of built in options. Buddypress allows me to create multiple forms which is great! I need those. They all function just fine. However, the appearance is definitely not appealing. It shows all the forms in one long row and the buttons often times don't line up with the questions or answers associated to them. I found a plug in for BP that create tabs for the forms on the profile page. It does not work and my only thought is that it does not work with membership. beyond the layout I'd like to have more customization with the page. What are your thoughts? The sites still being worked on but if you wanted to create a mock account to test out this issue, go ahead! you would have to manually go to the "/account" page after registering as I have not gotten as far as incorporating onsite access. http://www.hansrosser.com (it's a temp domain for my company so I don't have to shut down the current site)

• Tyler Postle

Hey Hans,

Hope you are well today! Thanks for your question.

I signed up and took a look - I see what you mean.

Are you creating that form with BuddyPress or using a different plugin?

Popular plugins for form creation are Gravity Forms, Formidable Pro, Ninja Forms(Free). I would give any one of those a shot.

Gravity Forms and Formidable Pro allow for user registration/editing forms I believe - they would likely be what you need.

I'm wondering why you are wanting a separate page for account editing when the editing interface in the BuddyPress profile page seems to work fine - it looks pretty good too :slight_smile:

Hope this helps! Let us know if you still need any further assistance.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Hans

Also, I should answer your questions. I created those forms under "USERS"> "Profile Fields" then, I created several groups (7) so my members can fill out simply whats pertinent to them. I want their initial registration and payment to be as painless as possible but the reason they join my site is to connect with other gamers so the gaming questions are really a big reason they join. I just don't want them to have to answer 100 questions in order to sign up.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Hans,

Good to hear back!

could you elaborate on the Buddypress Profile page?

Of course :slight_smile: your profile should be located: http://hansrosser.com/members/username

From there you can go to "Profile" then "Edit" and you can edit all the fields you previously setup. Looks nicely formatted as well.

I have attached some screenshots of what it looked like on my end :slight_smile:

What do you think? That should solve your issue here I think - if not though let us know and we're more than happy to continue helping!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Hans

I don't feel to bad, considering I just learned how to do all of this. :wink: Thanks for the info, I simply hadn't gotten that far into developing the membership side of things to even look at profiles. That answers my initial concerns 100%. I did however get gravity forms as per your recommendation, I think they could come in handy with some other things our site's going to be doing for our members. It's pretty crazy, we've got almost 6,000 members since we launched the company four months ago. I'm trying to give them everything I can with this new site. I've looked into badges, social media sharing rewards and a few other things to include like an affiliate program. Do you have any cool recommendations? Being that we have a ton of members waiting for a login (our current site doesn't even have that) I want to give them the best I can. almost like their own private "Facebook" community. (without the copy write infringement of course. :wink: -Also, I can't seem to get the "default" page layout to change to 100% width. Is that layout with the sidebar mandatory on those pages?

• Tyler Postle

Hey Hans,

I don't feel to bad, considering I just learned how to do all of this. :wink:

As you shouldn't - the site looks awesome so far!

I did however get gravity forms as per your recommendation, I think they could come in handy with some other things our site's going to be doing for our members.

Gravity Forms is an awesome plugin - you'll likely find you end up using it for all kinds of different things - It's conditional logic is very useful: http://www.gravityforms.com/features/conditional-logic/ allows for all kinds of different applications.

I've looked into badges, social media sharing rewards and a few other things to include like an affiliate program.

myCRED + BadgeOS is an awesome integration for points + badge system. You can award points for all kinds of different BuddyPress/WordPress actions. Then display the points on user profiles and same with badges.

I believe you can award points for social media sharing actions as well with mycred.me; however, don't quote me on that.

We have our own affiliate program plugin too :slight_smile:

Also, I can't seem to get the "default" page layout to change to 100% width.

Sometimes this option is given to your through your theme options, I'm not familiar with the theme your using though so can't say whether it is or not.

What I can do is provide you with some code to fix it :slight_smile:

Add this to your custom stylesheet or child theme:

.buddypress .sidebar {
    display none;
    }

.buddypress .col-md-9 {
    width: 100% !important;
    }

If you don't have a custom css sheet or child theme then use this plugin here: https://wordpress.org/plugins/simple-custom-css/

Hope this helps!

Excited for your site there Hans! Your members are going to love it when it's all ready for launch :slight_smile:

All the best,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.