Using Membership Lite with Wiki: how to restrict wiki access?

Hello,

I am using the full Wiki plugin from WPMU Dev, and just installed the Members Lite plugin to trial it before buying the full version. The website is at http://www.healerswiki.org

Is there a way for me to restrict access to the Wiki articles using the Members Lite plugin? I don't want to have to go through every future Wiki article and add a <more> tag for example... but would instead like to use a Category type of access restriction, like the one available for blog posts.

It would be particularly useful if I could restrict the Wiki access on a sub-Wiki level, so that main pages could be accessible to all, but deeper content articles would be subscription-only.

Are these two plugins compatible with each other to restrict access in that way?
Thank you for any input!

Marcus.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Marcus,

Membership doesn't currently include support for custom post types the way that it supports regular posts but fortunately, it provides URL Groups which can be used to restrict access to urls themselves.

In the following thread, there's a pretty detailed discussion surrounding that, including information on how it can be setup to work with the Wiki plugin.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/using-wiki-with-membership-plug-in

How would that work for you?

-David

• marcusbs
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thank you for the fast response.

We are only intending to run one single top level wiki, and give non-paying users access to part of it, and then paying users full access. It would be very laborious to make two copies of all the articles: one for paying users, and another that we show non-paying users as "teaser" content...

Maybe the <more> tag is the way to proceed then, on an article by article basis, although we then run the risk of registered users deleting that tag, and thus making the whole article visible to all?

Or could we place shortcodes around the content area that the Wiki articles appear in somehow, and restrict some of them in that way, beyond the reach of the registered users who can edit articles?

Thanks again for your assistance.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

`Hiya!

Just checking if it was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that's great news.

If not, could you let us know by re-opening this topic, and we'll get onto it and helping you out asap!

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Phil

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.