Using Membership to create initial user role then upgrading it.

Ok, so I'm thinking it would be good for all our writers to be enrolled in the membership program in addition to our paid members. But I don't want to charge writers, so tell me if I have this right:

1. create an access level for "writers" which will include perm to use adsharing (and for other access levels this would be a negative rule).

2. Either we do not need to set up a subscription level for them, or we do? I'd like them to be able to apply on a page different from the regular members registration page, then I'm thinking they will be placed in the 'subscribers role'...

3. then if we like them and bring them on as a writer, it is simply a matter of going into users> and setting their role to author. However... will they still have access to the adsharing as a result?

4. Related, what if we use a role-scoper to give people ability to post a draft and upload media but not publish, are there any forseen things I have to do to make sure this configures correctly in relation to their 'writers' membership level.

Would it be simplier to create a "free" access level/subscription level and funnel people through it that way?

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @jdsullivan411,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your questions.

Sounds like a great plan, what you'll need to do is still create the subscription, so create a writers a subscription and then you can place that on a completely different subscription, but you'll need to make it private otherwise it'll show with the other subscriptions :slight_smile:

To use Adsharing, they'll need a site, so as long as the writers have access to their own sub site on the network, that'll work fine :slight_smile:

You could use Role Scoper as well, though I don't believe it's really required here, unless you want them to only be able to send drafts till you've checked that the membership is setup correctly.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• jdsullivan411

Woah, they need a subsite to use Adsharing. I wasn't expecting that. Major frustration, it appears to be described in the video that anyone who is a contributor/author can use it, the part about setting up a subsite is not that clear. When I first discovered that contributors could not access Adsharing, I was told that I need the membership plugin and this would fix it. Now I'm being told they need to be on a sub site?

This is extremely frustrating. I had no plan of having sub sites for writers. How would their stories end up on the main site by doing this?

• jdsullivan411

Ok... moving forward, more confusion.

You suggested: "Sounds like a great plan, what you'll need to do is still create the subscription, so create a writers a subscription and then you can place that on a completely different subscription, but you'll need to make it private otherwise it'll show with the other subscriptions :slight_smile:"

I created a subscription plan for writers, with a corresponding access level. There's writers guide pages I've protected with a URL Group with regular expression. I set the subscription level to private to prevent it from showing up on the register page.

Right now, what we do is have writers apply using Contact Form 7 and then we manually add approved writers as a new user. Because of the protected guide and likely other things, it seems to be important to have them as members.

I'm trying to figure out the order of steps people should take to apply to be a writer. I'm thinking, they should register as a member using the writer's subscription level link [subscriptionbutton subscription="2"], then they fill out a form. Or they fill out the form then become a member (which might actually work better because I can customize the webgood with Contact Form 7, whereas the webgood for Membership is generic to all membership levels.

Thing is, I don't want people to have access to the cguide and other things unless we approve them to be a writer. So I'm worried that if we provide the subscription link for that level upfront, we'll be giving them access before they are approved.

Second step. I'm guessing that user roles (standard to WP) are separate from membership and subscriptions. (Once I get my head around this, I'll be able to help other WPMUDEV members with it). So here is the path, I am expecting or trying to figure out how to create:

1. Person fills out Contact 7 form to apply to be a writer.
    2. Webgood from that form prompts them to become a member at the writer access level. It's free, set at 3 year serial. I'm worried this will let them get access before they are approved.

Note: I did create a stranger/visitor level which is free but not showing up on the register page for some reason. Perhaps one way to work through all this is maybe to create a free "Basic" membership level/subscription, grating limited access (baiscally a stranger account plus access to the writers app and perhaps a few other things). Hmmm.

3. We review the app, approve them, and in user roles, set them up as a "Contributor"
    4. They get their login credentials (WP standard for creating new users), and we send them an email (manually) with additional information to get started.

At this point, the only reason I am using the membership program in all this is to restrict access to the writer's guide. I could skip all this completely and just password protect such pages and/or not link them a menu. This how we are currently operation. IDK, maybe I should keep 'membership' separate from our writer's program and let them sign up as a member if they want.

What do you think?

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @jdsullivan411,

Hope you're well today and thanks for the additional information.

On the membership issues, I would recommend keeping the form, they fill that in, create the user and then manually assign the membership to them from the admin.

As that way you can make the membership private, and that will stop it from showing by default.

Or another option like you said is to have them sign up as WordPress member via domain.com/wp-login.php?action=register and then you can upgrade their user role once they've submitted form and then manually assign the membership.

Personally I would go with the former :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.