Using multiple multisites in hostgator baby plan hosting

Hi,

I am having hostgator baby plan. I wanted to have multiple multisites. This is,

xyz.com – Sub domain based Multisite

anotherdomain.com – Sub domain based Multisite

and keeps going..

There are 15 different domains for which I need to build sub-domain based multisite. How can I do it?

In hostgator I added the domain as Addon domain. I think the server takes the addon domain as sub-domain of primary domain of that hosting account. Is there any other way here?

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @CatMan

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking the question.

You need to do is using add on domain as you are doing now. When you create an addon domain, the server must create a subdomain of main site, that’s normal. You just don’t use it.

When you create an addon domain, you have to select a document root, that is the main folder or root folder for that domain.

For example, you main domain is abc.com and the document root is public_html. Now you are adding an addon domain called xyz.com. The server will create a subdomain like xyz.abc.com or xyz.com.abd.com. But you need to define a document root, like you create the document root as /public_html/xyz/ and then this “xyz” folder will be selected as root of xyz.com.

This was you can add as many domains as you want, as long your hosting allows it.

Cheers

Ash

• CatMan
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Great. I will try it.

I need your suggestion please. I wanted to build more than 15 plus multisites. Each network will be hosting around 300 sites. Will there be any problem using shared hosting?

How to enhance the speed of all the networks? Is VPS best option to host all the networks? Any idea to make all the sites to perform at good speed? We are located in India.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @CatMan

I wanted to build more than 15 plus multisites. Each network will be hosting around 300 sites. Will there be any problem using shared hosting?

In that case, shared hosting is not a recommended a choice at all. Also, even if it says unlimited package, there must be some limitation. You can’t use unlimited space, unlimited database tables etc. Also, in a shared hosting it will slow your sites down.

The best solution is have a dedicated hosting, if it is too expensive at least a VPS with good configuration – like 4GBMemory, 2 CoreProcessor, 60GBSSD Disk, 4TBTransfe. It also depends on how big you sites will be.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have any.

Cheers

Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.