Using news/cms themes

This may be a dumb question, but this is the forum for them.

I've loaded a news magazine theme called cover wp to one of my test blogs, witha dummy user.
I've logged in both as admin and the dummy name, using both the same and different browsers, but I can't figure how to access the actual theme content or page layout. All I can get is the dashboard.

Can someone tell me how to access the inner workings of this type of theme, to set the featured article, headline, etc, to access the advertising controls, the user management, etc?

I'm assuming, of course, that this is different from the site dashboard, as i can find nothing in the dashboard for this stuff, other than the standard user controls.

If I've totally got the wrong end of the stick on how these cms themes work, can someone set me straight on them?

I've seen other cms before and know the basics of cms, that's why I'm looking for the controls for this and scratching my head.

• edvt

Also, I'm currently locked out of wordpress docs. I can access the other pages of the wordpress.org site, but every time I try for the docs I get this message.

Failed to get ID from name 'volutedtales'

volutedtales.com being my site.

I've tried logging in both directly from my dashboard link and just from a browser url and it's the same.

I've tried registering with wordpress.org, but so far I haven't received the email with my password either, so stymied.

Eureka!

I just tried loggin in using safari instead of firefox, and it's worked!

Figured rather than delete this entry, I'd leave in case others have the same problem. A different browser from the one on which your site is running seems to get you round this problem, but I don't know why it happens in the first place, as it clearly shouldn't; you'd expect the wordpress.org's own site to at the least be able to recognise a wordpress site's link to access the docs!

Can anyone tell us why this happens and how to fix?

• edvt

Hey Aphrodite,

It's the same whether as admin or as the test member logged in, no difference. There's no 'theme option' selection, either way. Yet there must be some way to access this theme's cms features, coz that's what it's designer to do!

Theme is in the above entry, called 'cover wp.' It's a news magazine theme offering content management, but there's no way I can find to manage its content :slight_smile: It just works the same as any other theme. I've been looking at other news magazine/cms themes too, and they are the same. There must be some way to use their cms, coz all their details say so in their promo', but I can't find it. that's why I was hoping someone familair with them might steer me in the right direction.

• edvt

Thanks Aphrodite, I installed directly from the dashbaord, so I didn't get any 'readme'. I found the address and went to the site and downloaded a copy from there, just to get the readme, but neither that nor the site tell me the smallest thing about how to access the cms features! Nada :slight_frown:

Tammy, maybe you could tell me how to find these features in your own wpmu dev news magazine that I've seen available here, so that when I get it I can find these, rather than still be confused and need to come back here to bother everyone again?
    That is, does the theme create a new tab on the left column of the dashboard somewhere that will open up a cms management page, or what do I look for?

Thanks, Ed.

• Tammie

@edvt: All our themes use theme options that are built into WordPress we don't confuse the matter. You simply go to appearance and under there click theme options and voila all your options are there. Some of our themes may have extra tabs even under there like the ability to set preset style, custom styling and maybe services or other content areas.

If you're looking for magazine / news themes then these ones should fit the bill:

Daily: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/buddypress-daily-theme

* Various featured content layouts – video, content tabs and slideshow
    * Various home page content layouts – columns, the wall (a fantastic new way of displaying your images) and rows

And there are great automatic image and advertisement placement options too, you can:

* Show images from your posts without using custom fields – it just works by pulling your first image through
    * Spotlight category on your home page
    * Advert placement: header, side wide block, skyscrapers: Simply add your advert code and it picks it up or add a link to an image from your media library
    * Set a square logo, logo or site title for your image

Home » BuddyPress Daily Theme » Description
    BuddyPress Daily Theme

BuddyPress Daily is the ultimate news / CMS based theme with multiple designs and layout options to launch your site into the headlines

Welcome to a highly flexible theme based around the latest trends in news style / CMS layout.

Not only does the theme come with 8 distinctive pre-set designs, but there's also a multiple layout and content customization options.

And of course it works just as well for WordPress, Multisite and BuddyPress!

Here's a quick intro or scroll down for more info:

You can customize the look and feel with ease:

* Various featured content layouts – video, content tabs and slideshow
    * Various home page content layouts – columns, the wall (a fantastic new way of displaying your images) and rows

And there are great automatic image and advertisement placement options too, you can:

* Show images from your posts without using custom fields – it just works by pulling your first image through
    * Spotlight category on your home page
    * Advert placement: header, side wide block, skyscrapers: Simply add your advert code and it picks it up or add a link to an image from your media library
    * Set a square logo, logo or site title for your image

Alongside that of course you can upload custom headers and allow multiple widget areas.

BuddyPress Daily

But we didn't stop there, packing this theme with an amazing number of other features:

* Blog / news template, full width template and default 2 column template
    * Site message displayed at the top of your site
    * Automatic bread crumbs for BuddyPress and if you just use it without BuddyPress it reverts to WordPress bread crumbs
    * Shows your server time and date on your site automatically
    * Support for multiple languages (default mo and po files and rtl.css)
    * 8 distinctive designs that go beyond simple color changes
    * Create your own design using the simple color picking theme options that require no code being touched to change colours and fonts
    * Parent and child theme structure

Hows that for the perfect news theme :slight_smile:

As for Magazine here is a link: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/buddypress-magazine-theme

and just some of the options...

* Customiseable welcome message
    * Post images without the need for custom fields and even set the size
    * Featured post slideshow on home page
    * Featured category section on home page
    * Configurable about text and title for home page
    * Different messages for members and non members on the home page
    * On or off rounding style
    * 5 high impact colourful theme styles
    * Create your own theme styles using the easy styling system
    * Parent and child themes allowing for easy updates
    * Theme options that mean no code editing to configure any feature on this theme

@Glastonbury: not sure if you were away of Daily which we offer.

• Moonworks

Daily looks a good one, plenty of choices to be made in admin by the look of it.

I'm going to have a go at creating a news theme (should be interesting), as that will help me understand how themes work.

My only problem with most news-style themes is they still look like the usual blog. I mean when you look at designs from places like StudioPress & Woo Themes. One thing you can say about your magazine theme is that it doesn't look like the usual theme :o)

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.