Using Pay Per View with our own payment system

We want to offer our pages to be accessed one at a time on a pay-per-view basis, for a period of six months from the date of purchase. If someone wanted two pages, they would need to make two separate transactions, and so on.

Pay Per View looks very promising for us, but we very much want to integrate it with our own payment system that we have already arranged with Chase Paymentech. Could it be set up to accept the order, but then go to the Chase Paymentech website to accept and process the payment?

A quick response would be very much appreciated, as we are meeting soon to make a decision.

Thanks so much!

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @kipley

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

There is certainly no reason why you can't integrate your own payment gateway :slight_smile: Though it will require extensive custom coding most likely depending on the API of the Chase Paymentech gateway, you may want to take a look in pay-per-view > includes > paypal-express.php

This will give an idea of how it currently integrates with the plugin :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• kipley

Thank you for your response, Jack! I will check that out.

I mentioned in my question that "We want to offer our pages to be accessed one at a time on a pay-per-view basis, for a period of six months from the date of purchase."

Right now, the only options are to pay for one view only, or to pay to see the entire site for either a day or some other period. How can Pay Per View be set up so that people can buy access to just one page for a set period, say six months, rather than the current options?

Thanks again!

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @kipley

I hope you are well, sorry! Not quite sure how I missed that part.

Currently I don't believe this would be possible out of the box, it could be custom coded, but at the moment if you set up a subscription that would be for the whole site and not just one page (if that makes sense?)

You may also want to take a look at our membership plugin for this https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/ where each page basically has it's own subscription for a serial period of 6 months, so they could access only that for a period of 6 months and then it would auto-renew, though that would have to be integrated to work with the Chase Paymentech gateway, would that option work for you?

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• kipley

Hi Jack. Thanks for the follow-up.

We have indeed taken a look at Membership as well, and while there is a lot there to absorb, there appears to be a considerable gap between what we need and what it does.

Just to clarify, we need to be able to offer access to only the one page that is purchased — as opposed to a group of pages or the whole site — for a period of six months. It is important that it would not auto renew.

Membership allows us to offer access to a set of URLs or the entire site for a set period of time, but not the single-page purchases that we need. Members there can only have one subscription at a time; we would need people to be able to buy several if they see several pages of interest. But again, they have to be able to pick the individual pages they want; we are unable to put them into neat groups since the needs of each individual would be completely different.

Hopefully that helps explain things. I have had a very helpful separate discussion here with Timothy about extending Pay Per View's capability to allow a six-month rather than one-day access to a page that has been purchased. But even with that capability, we would really need to be able to access other gateways such as Authorize. net.

I would think this would open Pay Per View to a lot more customers; I'm sure we're not the only ones who would like other payment options. Can this functionality be added?

I hope I've explained things clearly here. Thanks again, Jack. Very much appreciated!

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @kipley

Thank you for the clarification on this, that is indeed correct that membership wouldn't then work is this particular use case, You can have more than 1 subscription at a time if using positive rules, but for it to work correctly it would need to have certain access that wouldn't work in this case.

But even with that capability, we would really need to be able to access other gateways such as Authorize. net.

I would think this would open Pay Per View to a lot more customers; I'm sure we're not the only ones who would like other payment options. Can this functionality be added?

It certainly would make a fantastic addition to the plugin, I will move this to the features and feedback area on this and see what other members think of this. I will also notify the lead developer of this.

In the mean time if you needed that functionality now with the payments gateway, you could try posting a job on the WPMU DEV job board here https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-jobs/

Please let me know if you have any additional questions that I can be of assistance with.

Thank you.

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.