Using pretty Permalinks breaks listing page

I am using the latest Directory plugin with eleven40 theme by StudioPress on WordPress 3.3.2. I do not have any plugins other than Directory.

If I use anything but the Default Permalink structure, my Listing's page breaks. When using the Default Permalink Structure, the Listings page shows the directory categories. But when using pretty permalinks (http://nytristatedeals.com/listings/) the page show a broken listing (see screenshot attached) the categories no longer show up.

http://nytristatedeals.com/

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Kristina,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

Is there any chance you created the listings while using the default permalink structure?

You are using WordPress 3.3.2?
    MultiSite or Solo?
    Buddy Press 1.5.5?
    Directory plugin 2.0.5?

Please advise and hopefully we can get to the bottom of what is going on there.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Kristina,

Sorry for the delay in a reply it took me a bit to setup your exact scenario.

I found as you did that setting the permalinks to pretty permalinks caused some anomalies though not the exact anomaly you described.

After testing I found that the reason it does not work correctly using pretty permalinks is because the plugin manifests its own version of pretty permalinks as demonstrated at this WP solo test site:
    http://aecnuwp.us/

In my test of the solo site install, I found that with pretty permalinks off I cannot sign-in nor sign-up but the display looks great as you can see. When I enable pretty permalinks other anomalies happen though I am able to sign-in and sign-up, I get different reactions in the back end.

I am going to alert the lead developer to the anomalies and ask him for his advice/advise on how to overcome them.

Though this may take longer then a normal ticket, we look forward to getting these issues sorted out.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Kristina,

The theme is within the Directory plugin files in a folder named theme and the folder you want to upload to your themes folder is named default.

I uploaded the default theme to the themes folder - I renamed it directorytheme and then went and activated it is Appearance --> Themes

Cheers, Joe

• kristinabrooke
    • New Recruit

Just wanted to update. I installed the Default Directory theme and experienced the same issues you mentioned on the test site. Then I installed BuddyPress and that seems to have resolved the permalink problem AND the signin issues. I am not sure if all problems have been fixed as I have not fully tweaked the site, but as I said, BuddyPress seems to have been the missing link. Is that what the developer intended?

Kristina
    http://nytristatedeals.com/

• kristinabrooke
    • New Recruit

Ignore everything that I said in my last comment. This was not the fix. In fact, I have had to reinstall WP and a clean version of the plugin and theme.

I signed up for WPMU for the Directory plugin but it does not work. This is setting my project back so far! Ugh, not happy!

Things that are not working:

1. Add Listing Link does not work unless you actually create the "Add Listing" Page and then it does not show up if the Permalinks are set to default. Additionally, if you switch to Pretty Permalinks, none of the directory categories work.
    2. Listings page does not break down listings by categories but rather a broken layout of listings with most recent first (like a blog page) http://nytristatedeals.com/listings/
    3. Once a person pays, he/she can post as many listings as he/she wants. No way to remove "Publish" as an option so the site owner can verify listing before publishing.
    4. Blog News template seems incomplete and does clicking on Blog Post Title returns blank page.

I am sure there are other issues, but this is all I have found so far.

ETA- 1, 2, 4 are all Theme related. DO NOT USE THE INCLUDED THEME. When I switch to TwentyEleven all these issues disappear.
    Problem 3 is plugin related...any idea on how to limit the number of listings one person can make?

• Reysbro
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

+1 on solving the permalink issue.
    I'm in limbo with this... would creating all the listings from scratch with pretty permalinks on work? I'll try it out, but it's not convinient.
    Otherwise thanks @kristinabtooke for enligtening me on the fact that I need to create an "add-listing" page for the plugin to work...

EDIT: No it doesn't work to create new listings using pretty permalinks. Then the "add listing" doesn't redirect properly.
    Anyway, pushing this plugin to the backlog for now, looking for an alternative.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Kristina,

You are absolutely correct in your statement that The plugin just does not function properly and I have confirmed the permalink problem above as well among other things.

The new lead developer of the Directory plugin has been called in on this issue (I did that in an earlier post here) and from what I understand the Big Boss has placed your issues with the Directory plugin as a top priority within the WPMU Development team and Support team to get resolved it is now going through a complete work over as I type this note.

Thank you for your patience and working with me earlier trying to resolve your issues and finding we are facing the exact same things.

Cheers, Joe

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

The problems with permalinks is that the links on Listing pages were hardcoded into the plugin so if you change them by changing the permalink structure the links no longer work, This is being addressed in the rewrite by tracking the critical pages by ID instead of page names. This also lets you change the permalinks manually without breaking things as in change them to a different language which was one of the requests.

This change has already been made in Classifieds which had the same problem. I'm sorry it's taking so long but it's a bottom up problem. I had to fix CustomPress so I had a firm foundation for Classifieds and Directory. That's done and Classifieds are done and Directory is underway.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings diybride,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

It is my opinion though not having any information about additional features, that it will be a major fix.

The new lead developer has come in on this thread earlier, but he has not hinted to any new features.

On the other hand, at this point the vast majority would be happy if the features it currently has functioned properly.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Dave,

I wish others would see the wisdom you have displayed in waiting to implement this plugin.

To date Arnold's coding has proven to be meticulous and has gone over with very few issues, and those few in part can be contributed to having to re-write someone else's work and from what I understand this is much more challenging then writing it from the ground up.

I admit I am excited about seeing the new "working" version!

Cheers, Joe

• ozbod
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hey Joe,

I am just bouncing around within the plugin at the moment to get a feel for what it can do and to see if it will fit my needs.

One thing I have noticed is that the sign up link doesn't work, even though there is a page "signup" the link to it doesn't work from the tab in the theme. maybe I am not set up properly.

The other thing I have been thinking about is in a new topic I created a short while ago which you can see here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/setting-the-category-and-listing-order

Looking forward to Arnold new version though

Cheers

Dave

• ozbod

Hi Arnold,

happy to meet you, yes I am happy to wait for the new version as it's going to be a big project I am doing, fortunately it's one of mine own so no clients breathing down my neck! But it's time for me to put the old perl driven site to retirement now I think, it's been hacked and bashed to death and then some!

Just a thought, are you thinking about any sort of csv import for your new baby? Where I could do a csv export from my current database and then change the field names to match those in Diretory and import a lot of the data quickly.

Cheers

Dave

• fredcadena
    • New Recruit

Hi Arnold,

I am running the latest version of custompress (1.2.1.3) and the current version of Directory (2.0.5). I have a from-scratch instillation and I cannot get the custom fields to show on the listings page. I am not sure if I am doing anything wrong (although from the instructions it seems like it would be pretty hard to screw up) or if this is an issue caused by the update of custompress and I should expect a fix in the new version of Directory.

To be clear I can get the fields to display using shortcodes, but the default inclusion of the custom fields in the listings isn't working.

Thanks,

Fred

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

@fredcadena
    It's possible. I recently found a bug in that section, the difference between a _ and a - which might affect it. My current setup is way changed at present so it would be tougn to test the older code.

But use Custompress to double check that the Supports | Custom Fields box is ticked in your post type.

• ozbod

Hi Arnold,

I have latest beta loaded but cannot get beyond step one of the signup page, I tick the terms of service box and click continue and loop back again to step 1 again

http://www.ridetheworld.org/signup/

Am I missing something.

Also how do I manage the banner advert at the top of the page, have followed the instructions in the readme file:

"The plugin also offer a header banner space which can be managed from the
    back-end from Directory->General->Advertising."

cheers

Dave

• ozbod

Arnold,

couldn't get anything to work with my permalink settings of:

/%post_id%/%category%/%postname%/

but when I reverted to the default I could follow links on my directory pages.

I did a fresh install of WP and directory beta 2 on another domain with the default theme and that doesn't work at all

• stratocentric
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I upload the latest version, go through the settings, login as a test user and click the "set featured image" link and i am taken to the media page for upload with no way to navigate back to the add listing page.

Does anyone have a working version of this directory plugin or have I wasted another 30 hours screwing around with a half baked plugin?

If you can't login, post a listing and / or edit a listing (the basic functionality of the plugin) then I wouldn't even consider this an alpha release.

I know you are re-writing this thing, but you need to consider that at $600 per year for membership + the hourly rate of the people that use your site "to speed up development" X the number of hours they spend trying to get a plugin like directory to work for their project... the loss of man hours and profitability is staggering when you consider there have been several thousand downloads of this plugin. I would like to see you guys take that a little more seriously and stop releasing plugins so early in the process just to seem like there is a lot going on here.

I remember going through this same issue with the membership plugin and had to eventually switch to s2member after untold hours of frustration....I hope this isn't history repeating itself. I think you would be better served to slow down your "new release schedule" and focus on getting your existing plugins more ready for prime time.

Just want to voice a concern I think a lot of members are feeling. We appreciate the effort that goes into the development of these plugins.

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

The media loader unless you have javascript disabled or messed up thickbox script is a popup window that pops up over the Add Listing window same as on the backend. I've attached an image of what it should look like. Clicking anywhere on the grey surround will close the popup as well as the x in the corner.

If this is not what you're seeing, try deactivating the other plugins and see if one of them is loading it's own thickbox without properly enqueuing it.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.