Using Responsive Developer Friendly Themes?

Happy New Year everybody!

So as of 2013, are we all generally going toward developing in responsive frameworks? What are some of the themes you are using that have worked out for you?

I have had good luck with the Responsive theme but would like to hear how some of the other themes have fared. One of the shortfalls we constantly deal with is using a responsive theme but having to find workarounds for plugins that are not responsive (mostly media related). Do you think this will soon be a thing of the past?

• aecnu

Greetings jeff_beyer,

Thank you for the great question and to add to ROIBOT's answer I would have to say that to the best of my knowledge we will be avoiding framework themes as much as possible.

Frameworks almost always require extra work to incorporate plugins and features into the theme almost to the point in some cases of total ridiculousness.

Regarding just straight out responsive, I have no idea and for WPMU DEV I believe we will just have to wait to see what the theme developers have in store for us for 2013.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• jeff_beyer

We usually work with theme frameworks because we design completely custom sites that may have special needs as far as features, usability, etc. It's better for us to start with more of a blank canvas than a theme that's been designed with a specific design and functionality, so that we don't have deconstruct anybody else's work.

I agree though, ROIBOT, It would be better to use a native app as a companion to a site. Sometimes our customers don't have a budget for that type of project though, so we are trying to roll out sites that are stand-alone mobile friendly.

• photastic

I also build my websites using a framework (YOOTheme's Warp fwiw) and so far didn't have much problems... Responsive as it should, behaves well on tablets and on mobile phones of any kind.

However, I also feel that if you mix stuff from different developpers (theme framework here, this plugin there, other plugin there,....), they might screw up their each responsiveness unless coded well.

I suppose we'll never get themes and plugins to work together 100% out of the box and require some extra hand-crafted code... then again : isn't that the fun part of designing websites all together? :slight_smile:

• aecnu

Greetings photastic,

Thank you for your input which is greatly appreciated.

I suppose we'll never get themes and plugins to work together 100% out of the box and require some extra hand-crafted code... then again : isn't that the fun part of designing websites all together?

Isn't that the truth and the feeling of victory when one overcomes an issue like I feel when resolving an issue remotely when the person in front of the box cannot figure it out themselves - indeed as long it is not a coding issue/bug which then would be unfair to mention.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.