Using Smush Pro with WP Retina 2x

I just installed Smush Pro. Doing a bulk smush of my entire media library seems straightforward. But in your description, you mention that Smush is integrated with WP Retina 2x plugin. So installed that too. But now I'm wondering what the proper protocol is for smushing the entire library and bulk generating retina images at the same time.

What exact steps should I follow to get the best results -- both smushing and retina-izing in one bulk process?

Thanks!

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @Erich

Welcome to WPMU community!

I hope you are doing good and thanks for asking the question :slight_smile:

What exact steps should I follow to get the best results -- both smushing and retina-izing in one bulk process?

You can't do both in one instances, I am afraid. WP Retina will help you create retina images but Smush pro will smush the images created by retina plugin.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have any.

Cheers
    Ash

• Lee
    • Syntax Hero

I was looking at handling large images and discovered "wp retina 2x" before I saw this ticket.

In their FAQ:

Will the images be optimized? (EWWW, SmushIt)
    I will be honest here. WPMU (SmushIt) is very good at marketing and writing articles to promote their stuff but they aren’t good at collaboration with other developers out there. Well, they only care about themselves and about making money. EWWW works with Retina and at the contrary of WPMU, you will be able to chat with a real human (and a real developer) if you have an issue or a question. Go for it ???? I optimize my Retina images with EWWW as well.

https://meowapps.com/wp-retina-2x/faq/

Are there issues with using these two plugins together??

Are there other options for large displays and quality images?

thanks

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi there Lee

Both plugins work well together, as indicated on the WP-Smush Pro description page:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wp-smush-pro/

However, coincidentally, I was doing a bit of testing with a colleague as we have discovered that the latest version of WP-Smush will still smush the retina images automatically, albeit just a wee bit, even if it's told not to. :wink:

The developer has been notified of this issue and we'll keep you updated here once it's been resolved. You may want subscribe to this thread.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.