Using Smush/SmushPro on site with usage overload to Optimize

Hi, I went to use Smush and then Smush Pro because my site has over 4500 images; it is really slow and causing me problems. I deleted a bunch of plug-ins and am trying to optimize it. When I installed WPMU Dashboard plugin and Smush Pro, it was too much for the site to handle and I had to uninstall them (it would not let me utilize them and would go to Page Not Found).

I am now doing the images via regular Smush but it is taking a very long time. I gather I cannot use SmushPro without the WPMU Dashboard on the trial. Any other tips for how to make my site not such a nightmare and try out your plugins? Thanks!

• Alex Stine
    • System Administrator

Hello,
    Hope you are well.

You can use WP Smush Pro without the WPMU DEV Dashboard, however you would be losing quite a few benefits like:
    1. Plugin and Theme updates in one place.
    2. A way to allow WP Smush Pro to communicate with our API servers without adding code to your wp-config file.
    3. The ability to grant us support access when a staff member requests it to take a closer look in your site.

I have a few questions for you.
    1. What hosting company are you with?
    2. Are you on shared hosting, VPS, cloud, or dedicated?
    3. Could you please grant me support staff access so I can take a closer look at your site? This guide will show you how.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Please advise.

Cheers,
    Alex :smiley:

• cath swan
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Alex,
    Thanks for your helpful response.

To answer your questions:

1.Green Geeks
    2.shared hosting
    3.I would be happy to do so but right now I cannot even get on the site and adding back the WPMU Dashboard plugin is not an option.

I am not sure why this is happening. I deleted a bunch of plugins, I deleted the previous theme. I have gotten limited help from the host company.

I will keep trying, but, as of now, I cannot add you via the WPMU Dashboard.

I have spent hours trying to figure this out between yesterday and today. Thanks.

Cath

• cath swan
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Alex, thanks for this info.When I went into the first two in my cpanel, and I clicked on them, they only gave me the option to save them as files not edit them: the .htaccess and php.ini. I did not go further but not sure where those values to edit are supposed to be. thank you.

• Alex Stine
    • System Administrator

Hello,
    Hope you are well.

Could you please contact your web host and ask them these questions.
    1. How can I change the PHP memory_limit?
    2. What is the max you allow the PHP memory_limit to be?
    3. How can I change the max_execution_time?
    4. What is the max you allow the max_execution_time to be?
    5. How many users are sharing my server?

I took a look at your site and it seems to be running at a fine speed, I think increasing the PHP memory_limit and the max_execution_time will help you out.

Please let me know the answers to those questions. :slight_smile:

Cheers,

• cath swan
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Alex,

Okay, thank you. I wrote in to get answers to those questions and will respond with them once I have them. I think at one point the PHP memory was increased but will get back to you on that.

The site may be a bit better as I deleted a bunch of plugins and themes yesterday. I was finding that when I went to use or activate certain plugins, I would get a Page Not Found response. And it would take a very long time to load the Dashboard and Plugin pages, if they would load at all. That may be a bit better now. I had to step away due to spending hours the last two days trying to resolve.

When I went to use the Smush Pro yesterday and just now, I got a new error:

Plugin could not be activated because it triggered a fatal error.

Thanks for your help.

Cath

• Alex Stine
    • System Administrator

Hello,
    Hope you are well.

You cannot activate WP Smush Pro because the free version of WP Smush is installed. To properly complete the upgrade for you, could you please send in the following details via our secure contact form?
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select "I have a different question" from the "What would you like to talk to us about?" drop down. Please make sure this text appears in the Subject field so it is properly assigned to me.

Subject: Attn: "Alex Stine"

Please include this in the message body.
    Link back to this support ticket.
    cPanel URL, username, and password.

As long as you leave support access active, I do not need any other details.

Please update this ticket when the details are sent. :slight_smile:

Cheers,

• cath swan
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Alex, this is going to sound naive but can I just deactivate the Smush basic to get the pro to work? I thought that was the point of installing the WPMU Dashboard. Do all the plugins have to be manually updated to work during the trial?

Thanks!

Cath

• Alex Stine
    • System Administrator

Hello,
    Hope you are well.

Yes, you are correct. I was going to do this via FTP for you so you would not lose all your Smush stats. If you don't use FTP, all those stats get wiped out.

Anyway, what is done is done. Back to the ticket at hand, what issues can I help you solve now?

Please let me know. :slight_smile:

Cheers,

• cath swan
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Answers to the other questions from Green Geeks:
    1. (they sent me a link to a page on how to do it)
    2. What is the max you allow the PHP memory_limit to be?
    Ans: 256MB
    3. How can I change the max_execution_time?
    Ans: We do allow settings to be changed in cpanel under software services/ select php version, once you save the settings saved you'll see another link "Switch To PHP Extensions" on the right side once there you can increase the max_execution_time.
    4. What is the max you allow the max_execution_time to be?
    Ans: 90
    5. How many users are sharing my server?
    Ans: There is no exact limit on number of clients we have on each server. But, we do maintain equal load on each server.

thanks, Alex.

Cath

• Alex Stine
    • System Administrator

Hello,
    Hope you are well.

I would make sure you set the PHP memory_limit and the max_execution_time to the max they allow and try to use WP Smush Pro again. It should help you out. :slight_smile:

Please let me know if I can help in any other questions.

Cheers,

• Alex Stine
    • System Administrator

Hello,
    Hope you are well.

I am pretty sure there is not a speed improvement between WP Smush and WP Smush Pro. However, there is a Super Smush feature which can help you compress your images even more. I am thinking this setting might make the plugin take longer because it compresses the image more.

Please let me know if I can help in any further questions.

Happy Smushing!

Cheers,

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.