using snapshot to migrate a multisite

I am working to set up a test site that is exactly like my live multisite. I have a new domain and database all ready to go with a fresh install of wordpress on it. i was planning on using snapshot to do this. I thought I would be able to copy the entire multisite network in one fell swoop with snapshot but from some comments I read at the end of the instructions for migrating with snapshot, it doesn't seem possible. Is that correct?

I would be ok just migrating the main site and 2 or 3 subsites for testing purposes. So my question is: I have the new site ready to go with multisite enabled, the theme activated that is currently being used on the live site but should I pre install all the same plugins from the live site to the new test site before attempting the migration? After migrating the main site, do I activate snapshot on the subsites and then do the same procedure to copy over to the new test site?
Secondly, now that I think about it.......are the backups that I am doing with snapshot only backing up my main site? Do I need to actually do 84 separate backups to have a backup of my entire network? Finally, my live multisite database is located on the same server as the test database. Can I use the mysql operations tab to simply copy over the entire database to the test database without using snapshot? That seems too easy and too good to be true.

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Leslie,

I thought I would be able to copy the entire multisite network in one fell swoop with snapshot but from some comments I read at the end of the instructions for migrating with snapshot, it doesn't seem possible. Is that correct?

Yes, with Snapshot you can make only backup for each subsite separately, not "one-in-all". So you will have separate backup zip files for every subsite of your network for which you create snapshot.

So my question is: I have the new site ready to go with multisite enabled, the theme activated that is currently being used on the live site but should I pre install all the same plugins from the live site to the new test site before attempting the migration?

If you are not adding plugins to the backups (you can exclude them) on the main site then yes, you should pre install them.

After migrating the main site, do I activate snapshot on the subsites and then do the same procedure to copy over to the new test site?

In multisite you can't activate Snapshot per-site. It is only Network activated, it only runs on the Network. From there you can create snapshots of the subsites and restore snapshots for them as well.

Secondly, now that I think about it.......are the backups that I am doing with snapshot only backing up my main site? Do I need to actually do 84 separate backups to have a backup of my entire network?

Yes, that is correct. You need to create separate snapshot for each subsite of the network.

Finally, my live multisite database is located on the same server as the test database. Can I use the mysql operations tab to simply copy over the entire database to the test database without using snapshot? That seems too easy and too good to be true.

I would rather use Import/Export tab to first export whole database, then to import it to the new one... Then you can do that no matter if you are, or not, on the same server. But when you do exact copy you need also move all the files to new destination - and also if the url of the site is new then you need to update it (and it will take more time than in case of the moving single subsite: please see here https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/move-multisite-new-domain/) .

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.