Using Studio child, Membership, Buddypress & Classifieds. Losing formatting and membership regis

Hey all-
would you please take a look here (tutuology dot com) and help me figure this out? While I am logged in as admin, the layout is PERFECT. When I logout, the formatting goes berzerk. Also, I can't get my join/register page to cooperate.I have disabled wordpress registration to allow for membership registration. While logged in as admin, I have a semi-functional registration page. When logged out, it throws out a page not found error.

Additionally, parts of my site continue to break each and every time I make any change whatsoever (posting, seo, settings, etc.) For some reason, re-saving permalinks partially remedies this, but I am constantly resaving permalinks. Why is this happening and what is the remedy? Any solutions would be greatly appreciated :disappointed:

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

Hey Gina! LOVE the 'e' :slight_smile:
    I did not do a fresh install. I am so glad I changed though......it finally feels right....now, if I could just get things cleaned up. I've been having the "page-not-found-only-works-when-permalinks-are-refreshed" problem for weeks with no solution. A fella named Jonathan who is super helpful (thanks jonathon if you're reading this) has suggested a few things and made mention of rewrite rules.

With a fresh install, is there a good tutorial floating around for that?
    Thanks a bunch!!!!

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

K, here are screenshots of being logged in and logged out. The problem is in the header layout & menu. And something is screwy with the registration page AND permalinks must be resaved each time anything is done in admin.

I am sure this is just an easy fix, but for whatever reason, I can't figure it out on my own :slight_frown:

• gina
    • The Bug Hunter

hi kel :slight_smile: thanks! i redid my whole image. i've used every color in the rainbow i think!

so you still liking your logo? i might have to resize it for you to make it work with this theme. that is the issue with header.

i'll email you and help you with a fresh install. after my merry-go-round with pretty much all the wpmu dev plugins and more... it was the only thing that worked to get my kinks out... and it felt good starting fresh to be honest. i am sure it will work out your bugs... and i think you are in the position to do it since you are kinda relaunching right?

you on skype?

i have to take one of my monkeys to orientation but i'll be back this afternoon. talk to you soon.

g

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Just as a note that the logo area of the site isn't meant to handle images past a certain height, however, in my tests I was able to accommodate an image by adding the following (for example):

#header-wrapper {
    	height: 350px;
    }

Just add that wherever you're implementing custom styling. It's basically your image height + 50px.

Should do the trick. Was there any other issue here? Thanks!

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

Hey there Mason. Yes the issue still exists regardless of the logo size :slight_frown:
    The layout/formatting is incorrect. The way it rolls out while in admin is completely different from the way it looks logged out. The menu layout is correct only when logged in. When logged out (basically what everyone sees) is the wrong way. The correct layout is shown in the first screenshot. The issue is not with the image size, otherwise wouldn't there be consistency with the appearance when both logged IN and logged OUT? Also, the 404's are still a huge problem. They are everywhere. Most of my site is producing a page not found message. Goin' crazy over here....so many hours, days, and weeks spent trying to resolve this with zilch dev support (with the exception of 1 reply from DavidM). Any solutions would be much appreciated. TIA

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Sorry you've been having trouble. I wasn't meaning that the code would fix everything, but it will definitely fix part of it.

Now that I can see your full logo, I can give more accurate code. In your child theme add the following:

#site-logo { padding: 0 0 25px; }
    #header-wrapper { height: 195px; }

This will make the drop-down slider work with the logo you have. (it'll also push it up to the top of the BuddyPress bar which I think is more what you want with that image)

Now, the nav menus and 404s are a separate issue. You're using the Membership plugin, correct? Which version are you using? We'll get that sorted next.

Thanks!

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

Hey Gina~ Thanks for tryin' to help out with the logo....I was keeping my fingers crossed and I really appreciate your help. I am still having the trouble...just can't seem to plough through this (my poor munchkins are mommy deprived and wondering when I'll come out of cyberspace).

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

Well Mason, it definitely is a problem with membership. I deactivated the plugin and my layout is perfect again, but the pages I have connected to my menu (i.e, University of Tutuology, Our Blog, and Buzz) are still throwing back 404's. So, this is a start....

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Let's add the CSS I mentioned to the very bottom of your child's style.css file.

Now, onto the membership issues. There were several CSS changes with WordPress 3.2+ the beta of Membership is the best plugin to use in this scenario:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/membership-version-21-beta-2

I'd recommend deactivating Membership (which you've done)
    Deleting the entire membership plugin directory from wp-content/plugins/
    Upload the beta that you download from the link above
    Reactivate the membership plugin (you won't lose any settings in this process)

Let's take a look and see what we've got.

Thanks!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Ok, I'm not seeing those error messages. Have they gone away or did you deactivate something?

404s are the result of membership. By default it will send visitors a 404 if they aren't allowed to view a certain page. So it comes down to the membership settings.

How about a few screenshots of your level settings and options page.

• gina
    • The Bug Hunter

hi kel... sorry i got back late and was soooo tired! (i think i told you... i'm preg again and get wiped out ez these days) but i see "super mason" is on the job! he will rescue you for sure! (did you know he even has a CAPE!?) it's true!

haha... any way... i saved your logo in tons of sizes when i made it... i also want to send you one in the size you are using with a glow on the edge of the font so it stands out on that black background. i'll do that tomorrow! zzzzzz

g

• gina
    • The Bug Hunter

hey kel,

it's looking better already!

i have a couple css edits for you to try...

in: themes/studio/_inc/css/layout.css on around line 28 change the to the following:
    #site-logo {
    margin: 0px;
    padding: 0px 0px;

in: themes/studio/_inc/css/adminbar.css on around line 284 change to the following:
    .tab ul.login {
    display: block;
    position: relative;
    float: right;
    clear: right;

those edits will make it look like this (see screenshot attached).

also.. here is the logo cleaned up a bit for black background and a glowed edge so it stands out more against black (can't see glowed edge below.. but it's there).

gina :slight_smile:

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

Sure thing Mason....and yeah, I deactivated membership b/c it totally jacked up my site and didn't want visitors seeing all of that. I'll reactivate it and send screenshots of membership settings. Also, I remedied the 404's by following Sibohans suggestion in this article https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/troubleshooting-wordpress-404-errors-with-custom-post-types/. However, whenever I activate membership, the problem comes back (is this something with mod_rewrite?)

• Jonathan
    • The Incredible Code Injector

@masonjames,

Mind if I play tag? I'm coming from
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/permalinks-need-to-be-resaved-each-time-a-change-is-made-to-site
    and this seems to be a related issue (the 404's)

@tutuology,

When I view your site now I see WP_Query Object error - actually that isn't an error its a print out of the query???

Okay, just browsed to the wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/includes/default.rules.php:339
    print_r($wp_query);
    should be
    //print_r($wp_query);

Could one of the dev's please confirm that?

that line looks to be a debug line which was forgotten to be coded out //.

This should get your site back to normal - this doesn't solve the 404's, but we are one step closer.
    weird no-one else has had this issue? that would have printed the query out for everytime add_viewable_posts was called - lol.

I haven't had the issue because I deactivated the whole rule section and created my own (but this is not recommended for you)

So lets get dev feedback on that code :wink:

Edit: I see you deactived the plugin :wink: probably a good idea until we get dev feedback on that code.

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

@Jonathon-

Okay, just browsed to the wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/includes/default.rules.php:339
    print_r($wp_query);

should be
    //print_r($wp_query);

WORKED! Yay! Now....to the 404's.

@masonjames- I attached the requested screenshots

• Jonathan
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Yip, we just wanted to stop scaring your visitors temporarily :wink:

This should get your site back to normal - this doesn't solve the 404's, but we are one step closer

Okay the 404's / menu is definitely membership rules related (85% sure) - I know massonjames asked for screen shots, but I think you need to give one of the devs admin access to your site to check your membership rules. Membership rules are very very finicky (extremely or excessively particular) about how they are set up. And I suspect that you might have rules conflicting with other rules etc.

That or you need to provide screen shots of your rules area (pages / categories / menu links ) what are you protecting :wink:

I think the better quicker option would be to allow these fine devs / support dudes access to your membership area - that way it rules out a number of issues that would take time to unravel via screenshots and endless questions.

Just drop a line below my post saying @MasonJames, would giving you login details speed this along?

To which he will reply - Yes, please send login/password to ______ and subject it ATT: Mason and link to this topic

Well something like that :wink:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.