Using sub domains for main categories with sub directories for users?

This is solely theoretical at this point, but here's what I mean: First, the type of network would use sub directories. Let's say I wanted to have multiple main categories for users to choose from when (or after, either way) they signed up. These main categories would have sub domain pages that would initially be set up through cpanel.

So we'd have the main site- mysite.com
Then the category1, category2, etc .mysite.com
When a user signed up they would be under mysite.com/user
And their blog/site would be category.mysite.com/user/site

Am I making sense? Is this something that seems realistic using what's available on wpmudev?

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

These main categories would have sub domain pages that would initially be set up through cpanel.

I guess I don't get you here. All you need to do is create a multisite install and then setup wildcard. No need then to create things in cPanel. WP will handle the rest for you.

The WPMU aka Multisite works is that you can have either sub domain or sub folder install.

So:

domain.com
    subsite1.domain.com
    subsite1.domain.com

Or:

domain.com/subsite1
    domain.com.subsite2

You could I suppose only put certain content on each site and treat each site like a category, nothing wrong with that if it works for you. But they are not categories and are all separate sites in one larger network

Hope this helps.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.