Using the Marketplace Lite Plugin, how do I make the phone number on the order form a required field

I am using the marketpress eCommerce plugin, and the client would like the phone number to be a required field on the order form. The phone number is already a field, however it is not required. Is the anyway I can change that?

• Vaughan

hiya

it's not quite so simple.

you would need to custom code it. i think in marketpress-includes/template-functions.php

you would need to create an error filter & add an asterisk.

search for

$content .= '<td align="right">'.__('Phone Number:', 'mp').'</td><td>';
          $content .= '<input size="20" name="phone" type="text" value="'.esc_attr($phone).'" /></td>';

add an * before the 1st </td>

so

$content .= '<td align="right">'.__('Phone Number:', 'mp').'*</td><td>';
          $content .= '<input size="20" name="phone" type="text" value="'.esc_attr($phone).'" /></td>';

now you need to create a new filter.

$content .= apply_filters( 'mp_checkout_error_phone', '' );

so we have

$content .= '<td align="right">'.__('Phone Number:', 'mp').'*</td><td>';
          $content .= apply_filters( 'mp_checkout_error_phone', '' );

i have no idea if that's all it needs, i haven't tested. but imo phone number shouldn't be a required field, not everyone wants to give their numbers out & some people don't have a phone. it could turn away buyers. though there's nothing stopping them entering 123456789 as their number, so i don't think making it required is effective.

hope this helps

• John Kirker

I love my WPMU membership but so many of the plugins seem half-baked and rarely upgraded with features once the base is established. I don't see much evolution on things and that's a shame...

Regarding MarketPress, why isn't there an option to select which fields are and are not mandatory? When it comes to the phone number. If someone is ordering something, why would they be concerned about providing their phone number?

• Vaughan

Hi John,

Whilst I can't speak for everyone, many people are concerned with being forced to provide information that is not actually necessary in order to buy an item.

I personally do not like having to add my phone number in order to make purchases, especially when that phone number is not an actual requirement in order to buy an item. Why do you need my phone number to buy a t-shirt or a new hoover etc?

Many don't like it because of spamtext messages and phonecalls from telesales and marketing companies where they have purchased user details databases from other companies etc. Many just want to buy their items & then be left in peace without being called or texted on the phone every week with new offers or enticing offers trying to get them to buy further items.

So unless your sales actually require you to contact the buyer for whatever reason, then there is no need whatsoever to require a person to enter their phone number. On the occasions i have seen forms where a phone number is required, i tend to just enter 12345678.

As I say, I can't speak for everyone, but that's my own opinion on why I don't like it.

Hope this helps

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.