Using tracking code network wide and per sub-site

I understand the network admin can insert a tracking code for the entire network to be tracked or each sub-site can insert their own tracking code so each blog owner can track their own site.

1) Is it ok to have both options? That way I can keep track of all the sites on the network as the network admin and each blog owner can have their own analytics and track their own site. There won't be any conflict if both network wide and sub-site tracking methods are used, right?

2) If I'm tracking the entire network will the analytics report show traffic to all sub-sites as one statistic or will it seperate each sub-site traffic?

3) When tracking the entire network will it also capture sub-sites that are domain mapped? Or only sites that are setup as their own subdirectory.

• Denitsa

Hello Robert,
    I hope you are having a fantastic day!

1) Is it ok to have both options? That way I can keep track of all the sites on the network as the network admin and each blog owner can have their own analytics and track their own site. There won't be any conflict if both network wide and sub-site tracking methods are used, right?

If you have the plugin network enabled, you can insert a Network-wide Tracking Code to track all the traffic and in each subsite dashboard admin users will see the reports for their subsite.

If you add the tracking code in your network admin panel, you should be able to see the statistics in your main website dashboard (usually it takes time for analytics to start displaying in the admin in statistics).

2) If I'm tracking the entire network will the analytics report show traffic to all sub-sites as one statistic or will it seperate each sub-site traffic?

You will see statistics for all your domains under Dashboard -> Statistics in the Network Admin. I have highlighted a different subdomain in the below screenshot so you can see how those are displayed.

3) When tracking the entire network will it also capture sub-sites that are domain mapped? Or only sites that are setup as their own subdirectory.

You can use Domain Mapping to map your subsites and Google Analytics will track it too. To do that you need to Enable the option Domain Mapping in the network admin (Settings -> Google Analytics).

I hope this information has been helpful. If I can help you in this or other questions, please let me know!

All the best,
    Denitsa

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.