Using uncropped images on product pages in Marketpress

Hello,
First off apologies if this is similar to a previous question I asked, but I'm having concerns about all my images being cropped.
I am using the Marketpress plugin and was wondering if there was a way to display images in an uncropped fashion on the actual product pages? I see that thumbnails are used when you use a shortcode for listing products using the product grid(see my homepage: http://www.ezwaysmokeshop.com), but I'd really like each image to be displayed uncropped once you click on that thumbnail and are redirected to the product. The only way I can think of doing this is by inserting the image into the post, but then you end up with both a thumbnail and a fullsize image on each post. If I remove the featured product it displays correctly but then of course the thumbnail disappears from the homepage. Total noob here, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
-Alex-

• Mason

Hiya Alex,

First off, welcome to WPMU DEV!

So there's a couple ways to tackle this, but first up, know that MarketPress uses the "featured thumbnail" feature of WordPress and that this is actually defined by your theme.

So if you want to change things so that the thumbnails are a different size, you can either change that within your theme or use the settings under Products>Store Settings>Presentation. Here you can select featured image, medium, large, or a custom height for the thumbnail images.

However, if your images are different sizes and you want them to show there full size on individual or group listings this is going to require a fair amount of customization. We can provide you with a few tips, but if you're brand new a developer may be needed to assist with the coding.

Let me know how you'd like to proceed and we'll see how best we can help. Thanks!

• alex_taylor

Hi Mason,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Your response seems to echo the one I got from Tom initially in regards to changing the sizes on the grid layout. Not surprisingly I may be in over my head here.

If I check the job boards is there any chance you could give me a rough idea of what a reasonable price would be on something like that? I saw there was an option for "make an offer" is that a bid-based system? Would a developer be able to alter my theme in such a way that I would be able to simply select a "fullsize" image option when importing? I get the impression that this would be a massive undertaking that's going to cost me an arm and both legs, which is understandable considering what it involves.

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to determine whether it's worth the investment or if I should simply consider an alternate theme.

Thanks again!

• Dean Kaus

@alex_taylor Never apologize for questions. they are all good and you never know when one of your questions was the same one someone else was afraid to ask.

I think that @Mason is spot on. If you need this done quickly and don't have the time to learn then it's best to use the job board.

I believe the Make and Offer is more of letting them know what your budget is. I know that coders price ranges vary greatly mostly based on skill level.

In the past I've experienced that a coder at $35 per hour actually cost me twice as much as the $75 per hour one as it took him a lot longer to write the code and it wasn't as clean as it should have been. this was from another site which shall remain nameless. I can say with confidence that the help you will receive here will be great at whatever price or budget you have. The free advice here is great as well if your willing to take the time to ask questions and learn as you go.

Also if you can provide an updated link as the one listed in your original question isn't working. It would also help to include more information such as the version of WordPress you have installed, Version of MarketPress and especially the name and version of the Theme in question.

I'll check back tomorrow to see how things are going.

• Mason

Hiya,

Well the first thing you want to do is know exactly what you need. Your WordPress theme can dictate featured image sizes here:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/add_image_size

This page (and the other links it provides) shows the functions the developer would want to work with:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/add_image_size

Dean's provided some great advice above as well. If you don't know someone who can point you to a reliable developer than services such as freelancer are great because you can actually see previous reviews/ratings from customers.

I've had good success with those services in the past. Hope this helps. Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.