Using Visual Composer to create full-screen without template

Hello Community --
I am attempting to create a webpage without using the template (theme) that I currently use. When I create a new page, I want to be able to control 100% of the screen not just the section below the wp_head information from the template.

Is this possible? I'm sure it is, but what do I need to do to achieve this?

Thank you,
David

• Patrick

Hi there @David

I hope you're well today!

It's important to first make the distinction between the words template & theme as used in WordPress, as they are not interchangeable as you have used them in your post above.

A theme is what you enable on your site to output the content on-screen in an overall style, design & look. The theme can contain many different templates inside it. Each template inside the theme is used to output different types of content in different ways. For example, your theme could have a single.php template used for all your single posts, an archive.php template used for your post archives, a page.php template used for your... pages, etc. :slight_smile:

To learn more about theme templates and how WP looks for specific ones in a theme, see:
    https://developer.wordpress.org/themes/basics/template-hierarchy/

So, back to your question: you would want to either:

- Create a custom template to use only for that page. Level intermediate. :slight_smile:
    - Hide the unwanted bits on that page using some custom CSS. Level easy. :slight_smile:

Can you provide a link to the page you are building as well as a mockup of how you would like it to look (or at least, an indication of what should not be visible on the page)?

• David

Hello Patrick,
    Thanks for the response.

So what I am attempting to do is just use Visual Composer for 100% of the "theme". I know that the templates can be selected. Our current theme uses multiple different templates, but none of which are "blank" or anything similar. I want to keep the functionality that is loaded into the other templates such as the stylesheets etc., but want the page to just be blank.

Since creating this thread, I have done it and it works... kind of. It appears that I can get to visual composer on a new page and select a "blank" template, but the stylesheet's aren't adjusting properly. Further, when I attempt to save the page using the VC, it appears saved but the page doesn't render anything still. Just that, a blank page.

I have granted admin access for your review.

Thanks,
    David

• Sajid

Hi @David

Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

I logged in using support staff access and created a test page with blank template. I enabled custom visual composer and added menu + text but it does not look good. So I think it would not work this way or require a good deal of customization or may an VC add-on.

However, as stated by Patrick. Create a new page with default page layout and visual composer. Post the link of that page and I will give you code to hide the header and footer.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.