Using WPMU & Supporter (& more?) for a DIY type site?

Hi all,

I've got a vision for using WPMU to help me create DIY type websites for a niche market (the horse industry). I'm very familiar with this industry, very familiar with wordpress and themes, and run my own freelance design company specializing in this industry, so I'm confident that if I can get my WPMU setup the way I see it in my head, I'll be onto something here.

However, I'm afraid that MU has thrown a curveball. I want to make sure I'm doing it right, but I'm confused as to which folder themes and plugins go in (the regular wp folders or the wp-mu folders). I also don't know which folder to put the theme for the "main" website in.

I'm going to utilize the "Supporter" plugin which seems to accomplish a lot of what I'm looking for, and have installed it but not fully tested it yet. I'm hoping for the following to happen:

1. Users come to my "main site" (a custom theme) where they get information on what they can do with our company, and how they can get started. They can sign up to pay for their Premium account or go ahead and make a free account. Obviously I want the free accounts to have some form of advertising or something to help monetize them.

2. The themes will be mostly custom done themes by my company, some basic ones for the free accounts and more advanced ones for the premium paid accounts.

3. Again, certain plugins will be enabled for basic use and for premium paid use.

4. Users are able to upgrade/downgrade at any time. If a user has paid for premium plan, and has premium theme/plugins installed, when they downgrade, those are no longer available AND they get reset to one of the "free" themes (something that is set as default freebie). If they are using a premium plan and simply DON'T pay, their website is either "shut down" or goes into some kind of maintenance page that says something like "please visit Support to pay for your site" (I'll think of something better later).

5. Premium plan users can purchase a domain name of their own accord (hopefully via my reseller plan) and map it to their site.

I'm not sure if I covered it all (it's late) but that is the majority of it. Am I headed in the right direction using WPMU and Supporter? What other plugins would I probably need? Which directory do my themes belong in? Sorry for all the Newbie questions but I want to make sure I get it right before I launch. Thanks!

• Ken

Hiya,

to which folder themes and plugins go in

You should upload all the themes to /wp-content/themes/. For the Admin Panel and MU related plugins, you should upload them to /wp-content/mu-plugins/ and for any other general WordPress plugins, you should upload them to wp-content/plugins/

I also don't know which folder to put the theme for the "main" website in.

You should upload all the themes, irrespective of the blogs, to /wp-content/themes/
    There's no other folder in which you can upload the themes.

I want the free accounts to have some form of advertising or something to help monetize them.

The Supporters plugin is already equipped with this. The plugin allows you to put Ad codes on all free blogs and also gives the premium members the option to disable the Ads. However, you should also install this plugin in order to do that.

some basic ones for the free accounts and more advanced ones for the premium paid accounts

Again, the Supporters plugin is already equipped with this. If you have installed all the files and folders correctly, the Supporters plugin will give you the option to choose the Premium themes. Then paid users have access to all the premium themes whereas free accounts dont.

Again, certain plugins will be enabled for basic use and for premium paid use.

Again, the plugin does that. You can choose the premium plugins and paid users will be able to activate them on their blogs.

Users are able to upgrade/downgrade at any time. If a user has paid for premium plan, and has premium theme/plugins installed, when they downgrade, those are no longer available

Yes. Supporters plugin does that. When a supporters subscription is expired, the user doesn't have access to all those themes, plugins, etc. anymore.

If they are using a premium plan and simply DON'T pay, their website is either "shut down"

They won't be able to go on Supporters if they don't pay. They get the Premium access only if they complete the PayPal or Amazon payment.

Premium plan users can purchase a domain name of their own accord

Supporters plugin already has the Domain Mapping enabled. So that the Supporters can purchase the domain elsewhere and point the domain to their blogs. However, you can provide them the link to your reseller account to purchase the domains.

I guess you haven't tried out Supporters plugin yet. I suggest you have a thorough reading of the plugin here and try the plugin for yourself to understand the system better.

Hope I helped :slight_smile: