Using WPMU to manage multiple existing sites - Getting started

I currently have about 25 Wordpress websites, and purchased the yearly WPMU subscription because I saw WPMU (as I understood it) to help me manage those, and begin creating sites for others with central management capabilities. Do I install WPMU on all the existing sites? Or does it work by importing them all to a single "place" I login? Just want to get set up, thanks!

• PC

Hello Greg,

Zyniker is spot on here.

If you want to manage the websites as separate sites but from a single location then you can use something like : http://infinitewp.com/

However, if you want to manage them using a WordPress multisite, then you will need to import them into multisite.

Something like : https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/import-export-wordpress-sites-multisite/ should help there !

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• PC

could I ask for clarity as to what the difference between these two options is? InfiniteWP centralizes management, but WPMU is better for.. or also does.. ?

Hey there,

Infinite WP is a service which allows you to manage separate single sites from a central location. I am not sure how that plays with Multisite but It works great for single sites from what I have seen.

But those will be separate installs of WordPress.

If you want to manage all the sites using a single WordPress install that it's a bit of work to import the existing sites.

Multistie shares common userbase so if a user is registered on one site, that would not be available on the other site if someone wants to register.

If you are running a network of sites which you manage, then Multistie is the best bet.

If you are just manage sites for your clients and there is no issues with the user registration stuff, go for multisite and manage them centrally.

It more and more depends on you and how clearly you understand how WordPress multisite works.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.