Using WPSmushPro and Hummingbird to optimize my website

Hello, I'm working to optimize and clean-up a website that I was recently asked to assist with. The first thing I did was install WP Smush and run it on the images contained within the site. Unfortunately, both the Hummingbird performance report and Google Page Speed Test show that I have a number of large images that have not been properly optimized. Please help.

Additionally, I'm having trouble enabling browser caching and gzip compression. I checked, and my hosting company (Rackspace Cloud Sites) says that all is enabled on their end.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Joshua,

Hope you're doing well today!

both the Hummingbird performance report and Google Page Speed Test show that I have a number of large images that have not been properly optimized.

It's likely the issue is that the dimensions of the image haven't been optimized for the size they are being displayed in, so it's loading unnecessarily large images only to scale them down.

WP Smush Pro doesn't support re-sizing the dimensions of images yet. I say yet because that feature is coming in the next update :slight_smile:

For now, you'll want to make sure that you upload images at the correct dimensions for where you are using them, a tool like this can help you re-size images - http://www.picresize.com/ or you can use something like Photoshop or Paint.

Additionally, I'm having trouble enabling browser caching and gzip compression.

We'll need to take a closer look at this. I tried your support staff login but looks like something is still blocking it. Could be something server related.

Would you be able to send in your FTP and wp-admin so we can investigate further?

You can send that privately through our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me :slight_smile:

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Tyler Postle"
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Look forward to hearing back.

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.