Utterly Frustrated w/ Directory Plugin! Patience is wearing thin.

I have closed my other threads related to Directory to keep this simple.

Long story short: I tried to implement the Directory plugin a year ago on my site girlygirldirectory.com. After months of going around in circles with it, I put it on the back-burner.

I really want this to work so I am giving it another go. So far, here are my issues.

1. When a customer wants to sign up, they are taken to an automatically generated signup page. From there, they have to select “New Account”. This seems like an unnecessary step. Why aren’t they just directed to the sign up page?

2. Once they enter their Username and email, they are just automatically redirected to the “signin” page. They will have no idea how to sign in because there is no message or instruction on what’s next…for example “Thank you for signing up! We have sent you a log in password”. People will walk away from this.

3. Once/If the new signup ever figures out how to login, they are redirected to wp-admin. This is not good. This will confuse them. They should be directed right back to the home page or a success page, but definitely not wp-admin!

**4. The only one able to “add listing” is admin. This is a HUGE problem! No matter how I toggle the capabilities, only admin can list. I have test users set up as “paid directory members”, assigning listing capabilities – but it is not working. They cannot add listings.

5. The customer does not receive a message notifying them that their password was emailed to them after signing up…..if (by chance although unlikely) they check their email, they would find a “WordPress” email with their auto-gen passwd. How to change this to read “Girly Girl Directory”?

6. What is the purpose of all of the default Directory Capabilities? I need Directory Paid and Directory Not Paid. People will either be placing a directory listing or browsing through listings and possibly rating them.

These are all huge issues for me and I cannot promote the site until these bugs are worked out. I have attempted to find fixes for these on my own….even followed all of the following dead-end threads:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/a-few-more-questions-regarding-proper-functionality-with-directory-having-multiple-issues

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/front-page-form-not-showing-up-after-sign-up#post-212278

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/sign-upsubmit-listing-problem#post-154635

For now, I have changed the payments to “free listings”…it’s the only way people can list, but defeats the purpose (for my needs).

I hope someone can give me a viable solution to this.

Give it a try yourself, girlygirldirectory.com. Sign up and see if you know what the heck to do.

• Fullworks
    • The Bug Hunter

I had a go, you can delete my listing ‘test’.

Yes it isn’t very slick is it.

Although I didn’t get taken into wp-admin I got taken to a ‘front end’ listing apge.

The first option is ‘featured image’ but I did have permissions to upload!

Of course as it is all free listings I can comment on some of your comments

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Hey there, I”m so sorry you are still having issue with this and such a rough go :slight_frown:

I’m going to get Arnold in here asap to see if there is anything he can offer.

Have you tried the BETA that I sent in the previous thread? I can attach it again. I see you are on 2.2RC4

I have a 2.3RC4

Let me know! And honestly, as frustrating as it is, all of your items of concern are wonderful for us to see so that we can troubleshoot them all and see if they are related. thank you for taking the time to write them out.

You are a such a wonderful person to have around the community! I am very grateful for your patience!

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

HI tutuology,,

1. The signup page is for doing the actual charge for services. In order to make a charge you have to have an account to attach the results to, so the first thing that happens is that you get the signin screen if you are not logged in.

If you have an account already, you login and proceed. If you don't have an account you setup a new account.

You can't start up at signup unless you are logged in. You can;t combine the two because in the past people have deadlocked themselves out of the system by starting a register/charge and when they got to PayPal they canceled. But the temporary account had been created on WP and now they are locked out for that email address because it's awaiting confirmation from the email sent when you register.

2. See the attached screen shots. One is for Multisite and the other is for standard WP. This assumes you came from a simple signup link. If you came via a redirect say for instance from clicking my-listings while logged out, it give you a chance to login and redirects back to the page you started from, my-listings.

3. If I login using the signin screen it default goes to my-listings. If you use the backend wp-admin screen you'll get the backend just like wordpress always does. That's why the signin screen.

4. Simply giving someone a role with the listing capabilities does not authorize them to enter listings. They have to buy a payment plan, credits or it has to be set for free. Users often combine Classifieds and Directory and the old system of roles doesn't work as you can't give a user two roles, one for Classifieds and one for Directories.So the authorization to add listings is stored per user and the capabilities are what you can do once you're authorized by a purchase

.5. The email sent is From WordPress but the Subject line reads like

[Mandolin Lady Sites] Activate bryant

[Mandolin Lady Sites] New User Registrati?on

[Mandolin Lady Site] Your username and password

Site name in square brackets and a title depending on what the message is and whether it's multisite or standard. This is standard WP behavior. See the screen shot below. Messages from two site "Mandolin Lady Site" and "Exemplar"

6. The other capabilities are standard in wordpress. Some may want to give an editor's role capabilities to edit other people's listings for example. Other assistant roles could be setup depending on needs. You may want to turn off Upload files if you don't want them to be able to upload images.

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

Thanks for the newer beta Arnold. I really appreciate your dedication to helping us out with this. I think the Directory plugin has great potential, but it has a long way to go. Unfortunately, I am still having issues:

1a. After I login from the girlygirldirectory.com signin page (as admin), I am redirected to:

http://girlygirldirectory.com/wp-login.php….and the page is blank (see scrnshot).

When a user signs in from the home page, they are redirected to:

http://girlygirldirectory.com/wp-admin/profile.php

1b. Redirect settings in Listings>Settings>General Settings commands the user to redirect to the home page after logging in. Why is it redirecting to a blank /wp-login.php page (for admin) and /wp-admin/profile.php (for user)?

2. After/If the user figures out how to get to the (front end) home page and decide they want to add a listing, when they select "add listing" button, they not redirected to the "add listing form". The button is broken. I have attached scrnsht

Please see code in themes componentsactionbuttons.php:

<div id="action-bar">

<span class="action-bar-font"><?php _e( 'Welcome, what would you like to do?', THEME_TEXT_DOMAIN ); ?></span>

<?php if ( !is_user_logged_in()): ?>

<div id="submit-site">" class="button">Sign Up</div>

<div id="submit-site">" class="button">Sign In</div>

<div id="submit-site">" class="button">Add Listing</div>

<?php else: ?>

<form id="go-to-profile" action="" method="post">

<input type="submit" name="directory_logout" value="Log out" />

</form>

<form id="add-listing" action="" method="post">

<input type="submit" name="redirect_listing" value="Add Listing" />

</form>

<form id="go-to-profile" action="" method="post">

<input type="submit" name="redirect_profile" value="Go To Profile" />

</form>

<?php endif; ?>

<div class="clear"></div>

</div>

Is this right?

You may use this test account if you wish:

user: kellysavard

pass: PDGVQyRhUjmf

On a happy note, after a new user signs up, they receive a Success message that tells them their password has been emailed to them. YAY!

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

It’s responding now. I’d still like to get an admin and FTP login and I’ll take a closer look. Several things are showing up wrong, like tabs not showing on the signin screen. t may be there is a mix of old and new files. arnold at incsub dot com.

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

Hi tutuology,

Finally got in and checked things out. Couple of things.

You’re running PHP 5.2.17. The minimum for current versions of WordPress is 5.2.4.

You had a mix of old and new files somehow. I went through and cleaned things up and added a coupld of menu choices which should help. Take a look and see what you think.

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

Arnold,

You are Divine! Extraordinary! Worthy of my fealty!

Would never have thought about running PHP 5.2.17. Not sure how it all got mixed up but I did wonder why I was not prompted to overwrite newer files in FTP when I was updating to the beta. I am sure that is when things got screwy, just don’t know “why”.

Thank you so much for your follow-through and dedication to resolve the issue. I am so grateful. Will talk with my host (psek) about updating PHP.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

Greetings and thanks for being a great community member.

We haven’t heard from you on this one for long and I am doing a regular followup to see if there is still something we can assist you on this thread.

Just to manage the support issues more efficiently, I am marking this thread as resolved for now however this is not being done to avoid your questions in any ways.

Please feel free to mark this is “Not resolved” in case you have further questions and we would be back on it.

Thanks a lot for being with WPMU DEV.

Cheers

PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.