Variation Product Volume

We have an existing ecommerce store that was custom built which we are porting over to MarketPress. Our products have three variations license, image type and language. The license determines the price. We have 43 different licenses, 3 image types and 2 languages (with more languages being added as well). You can see an example of our existing page here: http://www.politicalcartoons.com/cartoon/6749a0e5-3e89-4169-9b22-a6e10e18d4fa.html

With over 138,000 products and the above variations gives us over 35 million product records using MarketPress; as it's my understanding that each combination of variations creates an individual product post record. I believe this makes using MarketPress extremely risky for us as that is an extremely large dataset to work with and raises a lot of performance concerns.

So here are my two big questions:
1) Is there a way to dynamically pass a price to the product without having it as a variation?

2) What is the table structure used for the records (documentation)? Our existing data is in SQL 2000 and we can create a DTS job to create the records needed for MarketPress but we need a table structure to create a data map for output. As I understand it, there is no native way to import these records in this kind of volume.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Cagle Webmaster,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I admit that is quite an unusual case with that many records and combination and a need to import them. I think that it wouldn't be possible to import these products to MarketPress in any other way than by filling the database directly.

Basically, products in MarketPress are custom posts (see: WordPress custom post types). As you already mentioned, you would need a custom developed "importer script" that would first

- read data from your database
    - then connect directly to the WP database and fill it with correctly assigned data

I will need to ask developers for advice on this as it would be very complex task.

As for setting the price dynamically, this is not currently supported and would require custom development too, if possible at all. Let me then please consult that with developers as well.

Please note though: their response time may be a bit longer than ours here on support forum as they deal with a lot of complex issues on daily basis. Please keep an eye on this thread and I or one of my colleagues we will update it with information for you as soon as we get a replay.

Kind regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.