variations as checkboxes

Hi,
Is there a way I can display the variations as checkboxes with the product instead of drop down menu?

Thanks
Hakimus

• digitsoft
    • The Crimson Coder

This would require custom code and would take someone a little time to do it, but it should be possible. It may require more than editing the file below, so unless you're comfy editing code - it's best to hire someone: https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-jobs/

You can view the area of code at line 1583 or so:
    /plugins/marketpress/marketpress-includes/template-functions.php

Look for where it says: //create select list if more than one variation

Keep in mind there's a new version of MP coming out soon, so unless critical you may want to wait.

• hakimus
    • New Recruit

Hi digitsoft,
    Thank you again for your quick reply.
    When do you think the new version of MP will be released?
    I can try try work on the coding but I'n sure if I can do good.
    The reason I asked to change the variation list as checkbox is because I want to be able to add options with the product itself. The variation as it is right now doesn't work with business like restaurant.
    Example:
    Sandwich is $6.59 if I use a variation with it " red sauce= $ 1.99" as extra. The customer can buy only the the red sauce and checkout..
    Maybe I should find a way to make the initial product mandatory with it's variation..

My best to you

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Hakimus,

Sandwich is $6.59 if I use a variation with it " red sauce= $ 1.99" as extra. The customer can buy only the the red sauce and checkout..

This is not so, the problem is the way you are configuring the variation.

You would want to be putting the variation in as:

Sandwich with red sauce $8.58

Not as an accessory but together as shown above.

Have you got the concept now of how this works?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• hakimus
    • New Recruit

Hi Joe,
    Thank you
    Lets say:
    product : Sandwich = $6.59
    Variation 1: Sandwich with red sauce $8.58
    Variation 2: Sandwich with green sauce $8.58

If I chose 2 variations the price will be $17,16 for a sandwich because I added just an extra sauce!!!!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Hakimus,

I just tested this and the cart works as I described adding just the variation as I had described.

It does not add the two items together unless I am missing something here on my production web site:
    http://marketpress.aecnuwpmu.us/

I can order an Anti Splog Stationary Cannon which is a variation of the Mobile Cannon and the price is just for the stationary cannon.

Please advise.

What I did notice though is that the amounts of items in the cart do not update unless I refresh the page as shown in my screen shot below in which I will alert the lead developer about.

However, I still stand with the fact that the variations work as I described and as demonstrated above.

Have you tried it yet?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• hakimus
    • New Recruit

Hi Joe,
    I tried your link, and yes it's working perfectly. But In the restaurant business this variation will not always work as you described it.
    Imagine instead of the anti slog cannon you have the main dish "noodles".$9, but you want extra or different things with it or in it such as variation chicken for $1 and maybe another variation shrimps for $2. How are you going to do it? Keep in mind that you need to make the variation not purchasable alone because there are not products, they are extras that can be added to it .

Cheers :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.