Variations for Downloadable products - Free Shipping per item - Coupon per item

I would like to make course curriculum available for digital download, and that is easy enough, but I also want to specify how many copies of the curriculum the buyer can print off. Bear in mind that I also offer tangible goods, which I have temporarily dealt with by using the shipping rate table. It would appear that if I set the variation at say, Curriculum X - License for 5 ; License for 10 ; License for 20, I no longer have the option to have the product listed as a digital download.

So, then I figure I'm just going to have to suck it up and ask them to go to a separate product to buy the license, but now that it is no longer a download, it charges them shipping. It would appear that I would have to create a separate product for each and every license, as a digital download, to avoid this problem- and I know that if it were me, I'd already be wondering if its time to just head to the door.

It seems like variations for a digital product, free shipping per item, or coupon per item, could all resolve this easily, the first two being invisible to he consumer. Is there any other option that I am unaware of other than creating 10 different products rather than, say, 2? (Remember, I have to set shipping, because I also offer tangible goods!)

• Philip John

Hiya!

Am I right in assuming that you offer the same download for all variations and then provide license keys?

I'm trying to think of the most streamlined way to achieve this. For example, we recently had a member looking to generate license keys on a per-order basis.

It involved custom development but would be fairly simple and would allow you to use variations to provide the different license keys.

Phil

• tnttony

Hi Phil,

It is the same download, but I wasn't even going to bother with license keys, either. They would just choose the variation that met how many copies they wanted to make. I can't really stop them from making as many copies as they want, anyway. So, a single product that linked to a digital file that allowed a different price/description (in my case, the number of copies they were being permitted to make) would be perfect.

That way, I do it all in one step, and I don't have to find a work around on the shipping issue.

Thanks for looking at this.

• tnttony

I did some hunting around, thinking that perhaps it would be as simple as disabling the function that hides the variations when there is a downloadable file loaded. I seem to have found the code that would cover that, but it is more complicated than I expected, and makes me fear that even if I did disable it, code elsewhere might be relying on it. I guess I'm not sure why variations should be disabled when there is a digital product, as it is possible to envision situations such as mine where a variation would be useful, but perhaps in the next edition of marketpress there could be an option to allow variations on digital products, if this allowance were not going to be simply built into the code.

Anyway, here is the code I found (post-screen.js) that looks like the area that could be tampered with... if I were braver...

------------------

variation_check();

//setup del link html on load
    	var var_del_html = $('.variation:last .mp_var_remove').html();
    	if ($('.variation').size() == 1)
      	$('.variation:last .mp_var_remove a').remove();

//add new variation
      $('#mp_add_vars').click(function() {

var var_html = '<tr class="variation">' + $('.variation:last').html() + '</tr>';
        $('.variation:last .mp_var_remove a').remove();
    		$('.variation:last').after(var_html);

//add back in remove link if missing
    		if ($('.variation:last .mp_var_remove a'))
          $('.variation:last .mp_var_remove').html(var_del_html);
        variation_check();

$('.variation:last .mp_var_col input').val('').focus();
        $('.variation:last .mp_sku_col input').val('');
        $('.variation:last .mp_var_col input').val('');

//remove variation
       	reg_remove_variation();
    		return false;
    	});

function reg_remove_variation() {
    		//remove variation
    	  $('.mp_var_remove a').click(function() {
    	    $('.variation:last').remove();
    	    //add back in remove link if missing
    			if ($('.variation').size() > 1 && $('.variation:last .mp_var_remove a'))
    	      $('.variation:last .mp_var_remove').html(var_del_html);

variation_check();
    	    reg_remove_variation();
    			return false;
    		});
    	}
    	reg_remove_variation();
  • tnttony

Hope that this continues to be looked at:

"For now though you can just do multiple products, not a huge deal."

It is a big deal to me. It is the difference between 100-200 products or 10. And that's just right now. I'm stalled on one project specifically because I know to tackle it means an unknown, but surely substantial, number of 'products.' Instead of throwing a project up and being done with it after 30 minutes, I know it could take me close to 3 hours. 'Not a huge deal' in the realm of things, but in terms of how I prioritize 30 minute projects over against 3 hours projects, it can make all the difference in the world.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.