Various problems with the user-sync plugin

Hi,
I have many problems with user-sync plugin:
- Some sites refuses to sync (when the initial connection was apparentely good - but without synchronization)
- some sites that appear in sync (synchronizing launch from the master) are not well synchronized... For example, a user should be an administrator, he finds himself subscriber ...

The logs do not provide any information ...
[2015-08-12 1:20:19 p.m.] [S] 0-10 - ajax shares ***

In short, nothing works and it bothers me a little, I spent two days on this problem by trying different installations (including all fresh installation).

Some help would be appreciate.
Thank you and sorry for my english...

Laurent.

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Laurent,

Can you check a patch from this thread for the beta version of plugin https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/is-there-a-way-to-let-user-sync-create-new-users-on-slave-site-using-the-default-role#post-886458 (not the code in post, but the attachment) and see if this helps?
    Please, note that this is a beta version, so be sure you have a backup of your sites.

Kind regards,
    Kasia

• lol

Hi,
    I tested like this:

Uninstalling the stable release
    Installing the beta

Plugin activation on the master and on the slave

But there are problems unfortunately:

On the slave when I try to connect to the master site:
    Fatal error: Class 'Custom_Debugger' not found in /var/www/clients/client0/web132/web/wp-content/plugins/user-sync/user-sync.php on line 369

And blank page on master site when I try to synchronize the slave.

Regards,
    Laurent.

• lol

Okay,
    No alternative to propose to me?

I tried many things ...
    On a master HTTPS site it does not work (can not connect a slave website).
    I thought it was because of the prefix of the master database. So I tried with a master site with a basic classical given prefix (wp_): failed

I just re-started from scratch and I activated the debug mode.
    The slave site gives me the right answer:
    Subsite successfully connected to Master Site and Synchronization completed.
    Debug mode is activated.

But nothing is synchronized, and the master site remains indifferent to my attempts ...

cat master.domain.tld/web/wp-content/plugins/user-sync/log/errors_m.log
    [2015-08-13 12:52:13][M] 0-10 - ajax actions***
    [2015-08-13 12:52:13][M] 07 - added new sub site***
    [2015-08-13 12:52:14][M] 0-10 - ajax actions***
    [2015-08-13 12:52:14][M] 08 - count of users= 5;;***
    [2015-08-13 12:52:14][M] 02 - sending request - url=http://kadmin.domain.tld/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=user_sync_api;;***
    [2015-08-13 12:52:15][M] 03 - sending request - response=
    6dyyyy15f4xxxxxxxxxx7266yyyy801f;;***
    [2015-08-13 12:52:15][M] 06 - checking key false;;***

Debug logs on the slave site:
    cat kadmin.domain.tld/web/wp-content/plugins/user-sync/log/errors_s.log
    [2015-08-13 12:44:10][S] 01 - new subsite conection - central_url=http://master.domain.tld;; replace_user=0;; overwrite_user=0;;***
    [2015-08-13 12:44:10][S] 02 - sending request - url=http://master.domain.tld/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=user_sync_api;;***
    [2015-08-13 12:44:11][S] 03 - sending request - response=ok;;***
    [2015-08-13 12:44:11][S] 01_2 - sync users for new subsite***
    [2015-08-13 12:44:11][S] 02 - sending request - url=http://master.domain.tld/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=user_sync_api;;***
    [2015-08-13 12:44:12][S] 0-10 - ajax actions***
    [2015-08-13 12:44:13][S] 03 - sending request - response=ok;;***

Trying to sync from the master site is balance by the same failure:
    [2015-08-13 12:58:19][M] 02 - sending request - url=http://kadmin.domain.tld/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=user_sync_api;;***
    [2015-08-13 12:58:21][M] 03 - sending request - response=
    6dyyyy15f4xxxxxxxxxx7266yyyy801f;;***
    [2015-08-13 12:58:21][M] 06 - checking key false;;***

I obviously checked several times URL and key ... As it is copy/paste I think I'm good.

Some ideas to help me...
    Debugging options provide no early solution to the problem, there is nothing in the apache logs ...
    I am seriously beginning to find it a bit boring ...

Kind regards,
    Laurent.

• lol

Hi Maniu,
    I'm sorry for late answer, there is a huge Internet problem in Madagascar. International connection is off...
    Yes one site is https, I didn't know that it could be a problem.
    Of course the server in madagascar (kadmin) is off because of the global Internet problem in Madagascar. I'll try to email you as soon as the international connection is back.
    Could you give me an email, I need to give you the IP of the "down server" (you'll have to enter it in a soft like dnsmasq because there is no dns resolution for this tld (it's a .loc)...
    Thank you for your time, it's very nice to help me.
    Laurent.

• lol

Hi Maniu,
    I'm sorry for late answer, there is a huge Internet problem in Madagascar. International connection is off...
    Yes one site is https, I didn't know that it could be a problem.
    Of course the server in madagascar (kadmin) is off because of the global Internet problem in Madagascar. I'll try to email you as soon as the international connection is back.
    Could you give me an email, I need to give you the IP of the "down server" (you'll have to enter it in a soft like dnsmasq because there is no dns resolution for this tld (it's a .loc)...
    Thank you for your time, it's very nice to help me.
    Laurent.

• lol

Hi,
    @Maniu: Thank you very much for your quick work and your effectiveness! I will test it as soon as my internet connection revert decent ...
    @Maniu (2): Do you remember that discussion we started two years ago about a small improvement I proposed? https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/asking-for-more-options-to-user-synchronization-plugin

@Vinod: 1.1.3 wasn't "older" this morning! :wink:

Maniu thank you, I hope to get out of this dead end quickly!
    Laurent.

• lol

Hi again...
    Unfortunately after the update (on the master site, after "Sync all sites now"):

Warning: fopen(/var/www/clients/client0/web93/web/wp-content/plugins/user-sync/log/errors_m.log): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/clients/client0/web93/web/wp-content/plugins/user-sync/user-sync.php on line 169

Warning: fwrite() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /var/www/clients/client0/web93/web/wp-content/plugins/user-sync/user-sync.php on line 171

Warning: fclose() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /var/www/clients/client0/web93/web/wp-content/plugins/user-sync/user-sync.php on line 172

Laurent.

• Maniu

Hey @lol

This is caused by updating a plugin when debugging (debug mode) is enabled - i would call this situation bit rare:slight_smile: Would it be possible for you to manually create file with same name, extension and localization - "log/errors_m.log" on sites that have debug mode enabled? This should solve this warning.

Your ideas are solid it's just that it have not been requested enough times. Biggest priorities have features that are mostly requested. Hope you understand it.

Thanks,
    Maniu

• lol

Hi Maniu,

Thank you. Of course "No such file or directory" was simple to debug, I should find the solution myself... :slight_frown:

I still have two "problems":
    1) https ? No solution ? It's a pretty serious problem, more and more sites are in https as you know ...
    2) The .loc tld. I create a dns zone in bind, but it seems not functional. How the plug does name resolution ?

No problem for the functionality which I claim, I will add myself to the master site! :wink:

Thank you Maniu.

• lol

Hello everyone,

Two weeks ago I opened this support request.

I find you very very friendly (Honestly! And I'm sorry to send this assassin message) but I find your reactivity to solve my problem below my expectations. I am a member for 3 years, I participate as I can, I would like to do more, but the rewards are slow to come.

Your plugins are not free, they must be fully functional, is not it?
    Unfortunately, this is not the case of user-sync which is buggy and lacks features (that is another story, not a priority, you are replied).

I understand very well that the user-sync plugin is not on the top of your files (there has to see the status of my small request, and even I have given the code to achieve improvement .. . two years ago).

But I paid for this plugin. So I obviously expected it works for all my sites.

You guessed it, I'm not very happy.
    25% of the sites I have added until now do not synchronize...

Again I apologize for the acidity of this message, I think you are generally friendly and efficient.

So I expected a little more responsiveness on solving problems induced by your plugin. At least I hope they work in https. This is not acceptable today that your plugins do not work on HTTPS sites.

Sincerely,
    Laurent.

• lol

So no answer. I will develop :wink:

I think we should list the missing essential features for your plugin finally looks like something acceptable:

1) Suport https

2) At the master site, adding the ability to enable debug mode without having to go through the button "Delete all plugin's options from DB" (Imagine, I have 100 sites, the 101st added does not work ... We must start all over again and add 101 sites to enable debug mode? This is absolutely unacceptable).

3) Synchronize the sites manually one by one from the master site. This is absolutely stupid to resynchronize 101 sites just for a new one ... count 4 seconds on average per site and made the total ... (and I'm only 4 users!).

4) Have a site sorting option from the master site: Sort by number, Sort by Name, Sort by last synchronistaion.

5) Make a small work on CSS. Numbering sites is really ugly. (see my capture).

Kind regards,
    Laurent.

• Maniu

Hey @lol

Https will actually work but the problem is that connection cannot be fully secure if information is exchanged with unsecured site. Sorry for confusion.

I just took a look at the sites you have configured and it looks like some of them are indeed not syncing. Do you see any similarity between them? Most of the time the reason that syncing is not working is caused by servers not being able to communicate. Are debug errors similar? Fixing bugs is priority for me.

I understand your frustration. You are power user of User Sync plugin. I have never seens someone set up so many sites.

Thanks,
    Maniu

• lol

Hello Maniu,
    Thank you for your reply, I appreciate.

Ok, I understand for the https (I understood when I saw some https sites well synchronized...). No problem for now if it's unsecured.

I don't understand why some sites Sync and some other not... Quite all the sites I configured on the master are on the same server! I know I have a lot of sites (and what you saw is 1/3 only of all my WP, so yes I'm a power user of User Sync plugin, and I need it to work!).

I don't think the problem comes from the databases, only the master does not have the usual prefix that bother you...

The debug option is not very helpfull to understand the issue... It just told me "not working...". I can see it is not working on the user-sync panel...

Can you give me some interesting ways to investigate ?
    On my side I'll try to find some similarity in the sites who are not syncing (WP Version, Plugins ?, htaccess, wp-config, etc.).

When we find we are stupid because it was so simple ...

I really would like to use user-sync, it's well integrate to WP (and I do not like when it resists me ...).
    I'm looking anyway for another solution, OpenID perhaps ...

Kind regards,
    Laurent.

• lol

Hi,

There are nevertheless some strange things in the behavior of the plugin ...

I tried to delete a slave site that was not working yesterday.
    I've dealt with a bug: Can not Delete all plugin's options from DB (The button has no effect ...). Of course, no interesting logs (In user-sync or apache)
    I then remove the plugin, deleted files on the server and reinstalled.

While it is still impossible to delete the plugin datas from DB, if I connect the slave to the master site (and while I have this message on the slave site. There Was a sync problem) the site synchronizes perfectly ...

I think I'll end up giving up, I have too many problems with your plugin.

For two weeks I'm fighting with installs and uninstalls, search the logs and search the databases ...

I hate to say this, but there is a serious problem with your plugin.

How to explain that a site that was not working yesterday (and while I have not changed anything in the WP settings) works well today? And while there are still serious uninstall problem: I can't remove plugin data in the DB.

Debugging is too long because of the missing feature I requested two years ago: Being able to choose the sites to synchronize or not. I am perhaps the only one to have requested this feature, it does not diminish its importance.
    The claimed feature works very well, I sent you the code if you remember. You just had to test it ...

In short, I am disappointed.
    Nobody in the staff has given me an email to send you the logs.
    24 / 7 Support ?
    Guaranteed to work, always updated, top quality plugins. Beautifully coded, packed with features, and easy to use. ?

I send you all logs (master and slave) at contact@incsub.com but I doubt you can find something interesting in it ...
    Laurent.

• lol

Hi Maniu,

Sorry for you to disrupt your holiday departure ... and sorry for myself that you're the only one working on this plugin!

In the meanwhile I use another solution: MainWP ... it works very well.
    It does not sync all users as does user-sync, but I manage to do what I want with.

I have about 50 websites (including 35 in production), the time savings that brings me a plugin is my priority!
    And I'm sorry to say that with User-sync I lost a LOT of time.

It's nice to have to do with you!
    I wish you good holiday, and I forbid you to think about code! Holidays = No Internet!!! :wink:

Laurent.

PS This topic is'nt resolved.

• lol

Hi Maniu,

Thank you for that message.

I am ready to test a beta version if necessary and/or if it is useful for you.
    I used to test, I work daily on Debian Sid (up to date) for almost 10 years ... Thanks to this I am never surprised when major changes occur on stable release.

I like the approach of User-Sync, I'm disappointed not to be able to make it work on my servers. Although the alternative I've found works very well, but it is less convenient than with User-Sync.

I await your news.
    Laurent.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.