Version 2.1: what does it do, does it really search all now and how doI update?

Hi there,

I got a screaming notification on top of my admin panel that there was a new version of this plugin.
As the old one never worked (it does not search any exiting blogs, so only useful(?) for totally brandnew installations), I wondered what this new version does:
- Where is the Change log?
- Does it search the entire network, meaning everything, meaning including existing blogs?
- How do I get rid of these annoying update notifications (WP already notifies me about this)?
- How are we supposed to update, why can I not update automatically, even with your API key, or am I missing something?
Cheers

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Where is the Change log?

It's built into the notification update plugin now - you can view the changelog from the update system.

How do I get rid of these annoying update notifications (WP already notifies me about this)

It's in the options for the update notifications plugin

How are we supposed to update, why can I not update automatically, even with your API key, or am I missing something?

You should be able to automatically update some plugins, others need to be manually updated as they are in none-standard locations.

You need to update post-indexer to version 2.1 before updating this one. At the moment all post_types (except for pages) are indexed by the post_indexer. That means that non-posts could be included in your global searching. The updates allow you to specify the post_types that you want searched / displayed.

• Patagonia
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thank you for your quick reply and useful answers. You might want to add instructions to update as uploading a new version won't work as the old plugin already exists, so either delete the old one first and re-upload the new one, or overwrite using FTP.

You forgot one question:
    - Does it search the entire network, meaning everything, meaning including existing blogs?

I do not mean custom post types etc, but date related: also existing posts?
    Cheers

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Patagonia,

Global Site Search being based on Post Indexer, which doesn't index past posts, but all posts from the point at which it's installed, would be able to search just the posts included in that index.

I'll take a look with the documentation team to see how the project and installation pages can be phrased for more clarity, but I believe the wording does leave adequate room for reasonable limitations such as the lack of indexing past posts.

We'll take a look at that though, and see what can be done. Thanks again for all your feedback on these things.

Cheers,
    David

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Patagonia,

Actually, I came across that post with the nice code snippet that could perhaps use an update:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/looking-for-a-script-to-populate-wp_site_posts-of-the-post-indexer-plugin

You mentioned 2 things, that the script doesn't account for the main blog and that the urls it provides aren't quite correct.

The main blog issue is a piece of cake to remedy, however, I'm curious as to why it doesn't include the main blog and am wondering if there might be an issue with including that blog's posts. Do you see a reason, at least in your own use of it, that this would be a problem?

Also, I believe the urls don't take into account the permalink structure of the blog the post is from, not to mention their being relative to the main blog at mentioned. Aside from that, do you see any reason the script wouldn't work for you?

• Patagonia
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi David,

I have removed the plugin and tables as even with this script it did not work and without past posts included, searching is pointless.

I can only copy what I found out before as posted in that thread:

"Just tried it on 3.1.1 and BP 1.2.8. It still works to populate the index tables, but all links (post_permalink) in the tables are wrong as they are all http://mainsite.com/blogtitle, while they should be subsite.mainsite.com/category/blogtitle etc.

I am not sure why this happens and how to prevent it? Or have things changed since 3.1.1 and did the rest of you get good results before?

addition: it seems that the mainsite is not indexed at all (I was looking for some posts that should have the correct link by accident!), not sure if this is by design or a bug?"

The scriptwriter mentioned that it was a single install, so maybe that's the problem. It would need to find subblogs as well as domain mapped blogs.

But I think the developer should be able to test and adapt the script or just write a new one from scratch, so that the plugin can do what would be expected behaviour? As Ovidiu mentioned: just do it in batches and give the user an option to index old posts or not or just run it early sunday morning.
    Things like these are the reason I invested in a bigger server...

Thanks

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.