Very slooooow WP interface

I have a WP site with a back end that’s been maddeningly slow since yesterday. The hosting company told me they were having some issues with Linux servers but I doubt a server issue is my big problem. I’ve been doing a lot of authoring and tinkering in this particular site, testing, viewing changes and so forth. Is there a cache or Restore setting I should adjust to avoid the WP interface becoming gummy?

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there and welcome to WPMU DEV!

First of all make sure you’ve cleared your browser cache and cookies as that will speed up your viewing a bit in general.

Do you have a caching plugin installed?

Speed on your site depends on a few factors, your host, where their servers are located compared to where you live, how many plugins you have installed, how many themes you have installed.

If you installed a lot of plugins and decided not to use them, there may still be query’s that are stored and possibly running in the database so you may want to check that with PhpMyAdmin or similar.

I’m sure Joe @aecnu can come up with some great suggestions :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards

Jack (Coding-Monkey).

• gkosovic
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks, Jack. Clearing browser cache has not changed the situation. I’m still at the point where I’m attempting to determine whether I’m dealing with a purely WP issue, a purely server issue or — if such exists — a server/WP issue, such as a damaged installation. If you can shed any light, please do.

I don’t know how to interpret your question about caching plugin. Are you implying that I should or should not have a caching plugin installed?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings gkosovic,

Welcome to WPMU DEV!

Sorry to see that you are having an issue with your WordPress installation and indeed Jack gave lots of great suggestions as always.

However, if the host themselves admitting or declaring that they are having issues, it is my opinion it would not be in your best interest to be digging in until they claim they have the issues resolved.

What is the name of the host?

Did they give any clue as to what is possibly happening?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi again @gkosovic

I would personally doubt it’s a damaged installation.

It’s normally advisable to have a caching plugin installed, but I don’t know of any that will help speed up the admin end, as that’s not normally cached, as Joe asked, could you tell us who your host is please?

Also could you ask them for a specific problem that they’re having.

Thanks!

Kind Regards

Jack (Coding-Monkey).

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @gkosovic

I would personally say this is a hosting issue, GoDaddy is in my eyes and most others, one of/if not the worst hosting for a WordPress site.

If I was you, I’d press the support rep for more information, that isn’t acceptable for them to just say that when your paying for hosting.

Sorry I can’t be of more help.

Thanks.

Kind Regards

Jack (Coding-Monkey).

• gkosovic

“Error 500 server down” is not relevant to my issue. It’s a tab for a page in a Support section. The customer used the phrase — apparently, incorrectly — to describe a problem he was having. Appreciate your eagle eye, though, coding-monkey!

• gkosovic

My thanks to @aecnu and @coding-monkey. While on the phone with GoDaddy Support, I closed out the window you saw in the screenshot and tried again to log in. Much better response. Did a minor page edit, updated and viewed the page from the front end. Response seems to be at an acceptable speed again. Support rep Alex could find no current server conditions that would be affecting my WP site’s performance except that some “clean-up” maintenance is being conducted in the aftermath of the work they did on the server yesterday.

Your recommendations for a caching plugin?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.