Videos

Heya Guys,

Do you like the 36 videos we just sorted out for ya :slight_smile:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/videos/

Each one comes with a simple embed code, unlimited bandwidth, is html5 (so works on yer ipad) and will be automatically updated with each new release of WordPress.

Pretty cool huh!

Any questions / feedback let me know.

Cheers, James

• foodfriendfinder
    • The Incredible Code Injector

James...thxs for quick response......could be me...I'm horrible at following directions...lol

It did log me into my account with my username at the top automatically to register my

domain....,although I did notice you need to upgrade to wordpress 3.1

Maybe I'll wait and see if others have problems....It's late here....

appears my domain site is registered......otherwise you will probably need admin access to my site I am guessing...

I'll try again tomorrow and then use your contact form if unsuccessful again

• wpcdn
    • Syntax Hero

Oops, then I got an unauthorized message.

Hmm, part of the problem is that the domain registration form truncates the name of some domains...but not all.

For example, I entered sarahssugar.com, but only arahssugar.com was entered in the form. I tried various other domains and got varying results.

Definitely issues with that form...anyone else seeing this?

• wpcdn
    • Syntax Hero

Great stuff!!!

A couple of nit-picky details... :wink:

1) The "Play Again" button is off-center, to the right (at least on the first video I checked...I'll let you know if it's okay on others).

2) Is there any way to modify the player skin, to change the colors (or preferably to use neutral colors instead of the blue accents)? We have a site with a very specific (non-blue) color scheme, and we'd like to avoid clashes with that.

See, I told you it was nit-picky. :slight_smile:

• jabbermonkey
    • Flash Drive

Hey Aaron and the rest of the developers:

Where do you download these unbranded videos located at:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/videos/

It says:

All Plugins and Themes are 100% GPL Licensed... Choose and Start Downloading Below

But there is no download - it's link back to your website where the videos are stored right?

Are you renting these videos to your paying customers or are you selling them?

Questions if the answer to this is "yes, for all intensive purposes we are renting these tutorial videos"...

What if I want those on my own server and I don't want to link back to your website?

What if I want to cancel my subscription? I lose what I paid for?

What's next, future plugins will work only during active subscriptions to WPMU DEV?

What's the philosophy behind this? Other than the obvious...

Where are the other swf's that were on your site...you know...the free ones that I already paid for...gone?

• James Farmer
    • CEO (of WPMU DEV, honest)

@jabbermonkey - as you can see these aren't plugins and themes.

They are videos, and in return for your ongoing membership we:

- Provide a simple html5 embed code [more options coming soon to that too]
    - Update them with new versions of WP
    - Add too / modify them as requested by members
    - Cover all bandwidth charges

If you don't think that's a fair trade, then you don't have to use them, it's entirely your choice.

What if I want those on my own server and I don't want to link back to your website?

That's not an option that we offer with these, nor will it be.

What if I want to cancel my subscription? I lose what I paid for?

Then the videos will stop working

What's next, future plugins will work only during active subscriptions to WPMU DEV?

Not at all, all plugins and themes are GPL and will continue to be so... like I said though these aren't plugins or themes.

What's the philosophy behind this? Other than the obvious...

I appreciate you deleting the 'greed' bit :slight_smile: But basically we want to provide our members with a better service and more quality stuff, to do that we need members to stay members (rather than for just a month and then bugger off) - this is part of us trying to offer incentives for ongoing membership.

Where are the other swf's that were on your site...you know...the free ones that I already paid for...gone?

They were out of date (wp 3.0) and as such these have replaced them - you're welcome to keep them though if you want.

• dapadoo
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I love the videos, I was going to do some myself that you didn't have or needed to be updated to 3.1. Going to save me a lot of time and time is money. Having the videos set up to be used by members is a great idea. It will keep them from getting spread around the net and more exclusive to members.

• timvb
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

anywhere we can actually watch the videos before we choose which ones to add ?

also .. .is there a page with combined embed codes for all of them as above ...

Thanks guys ... good stuff ... I was about to embark on a set myself ...

Cheers

• mhcalumnae
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I think the videos are a great add-on and bring additional value to the subscription. Creating quality screen cast videos is not as easy as it might first appear. Yes, there are a variety of screen cast applications that are inexpensive or even free, but that is only part of the equation. It often requires multiple takes or some editing to get the video just right. Then there is the encoding, uploading and hosting of large HD video which is no small feat ( although it is made easier with VideoPress). Repeat 35x and then do it all over again in 4, 6 or 9 months when the next version of WordPress is released. I think I have better things I can do with my time.

While WordPress has a great UI and is an improvement over the likes of Drupal and Joomla, the average end user still needs help and video is an ideal medium to deliver that assistance. The additional instructions and screenshots are still beneficial, because not everyone wants to take the time to watch the videos.

With that said, I do have some criticisms. My biggest gripe is about having to download a separate text file for each video which is a very cumbersome process. Easier than producing the videos myself, but more difficult than it needs to be. Either put all of the links to the videos in a single text file or put them behind authentication, so I can copy them off of the web page.

I would also like to easily be able to resize the video, something along the lines of how YouTube does it. Being able to change the color of the frame would be nice, too.

Keep up the good work.

• James Farmer
    • CEO (of WPMU DEV, honest)

Thanks again for the feedback guys.

I'm thinking that we need 1 project which contains a single download with all the video embeds in it and also has all the videos in it - but only viewable by members.

We'll definitely be looking into resizing and frame customization too.

• nelnehal
    • The Incredible Code Injector

i just add all the videos on the backend on wordpress, simply realizing that each supporter cannot view the video, because the subdomains are not registered in wpmudev. Is there any way you can allow subdomains of a website to be included, without us having to manually put each subdomain in the video api here.

The backend is the perfect place for those videos.

These videos also perfectly work with FAQ in the support system plugin, if all subdomains could be included

thanks

• rsisales
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I second the motion to add the videos to the support system plugin. Adding another menu item under FAQ called "Video Tutorials" would be great. You would have to do it like your other Member Only services where you have an API code you put in the network backend and then it works for all subdomains and also mapped domains in said network. Then let the super-admin select which videos to show with check boxes. Then when WPMUDEV creates a new video it will automatically inform the Super-Admin to allow him to "publish" the video.

• SooBahkDo
    • Syntax Hero

Videos are excellent!

We got a few activated in public facing posts to show potential new users the level of support they receive (Thank you WPMUDEV!)
    and to encourage them to take the plunge.

http://www.soobahkdo.biz

Adding the videos to the FAQ in Support Plugin would be excellent!

On any implementation of the videos where they are embeded or included in mass, please add an option for a Super admin to select the videos they want to display or not.

In some cases site modifications may invalidate some videos from being relevant while other videos are still perfectly relevant, so turning off those that no longer apply due to site modifications would be great in those cases.

Phil D

• wpcdn
    • Syntax Hero

Would there be an option to download the videos themselves, for those of us who are willing to host our own and use our own bandwidth? That would add flexibility, for example we could include them in the Support System plugin so they'd be visible to all sub-site admins regardless of domain.

Just a thought...

Thanks,

Mark

• wpcdn
    • Syntax Hero

Sorry, I missed the part higher in the thread about how the videos will always be hosted for us. That makes sense.

I would like to reiterate the interest in control over the colors (or maybe the ability to specify a custom player skin), or at least switching to neutral colors in the existing skins (plus centering the "Play Again" button).

Thanks,

Mark

• Aaron
    • CTO

I've just enabled wildcard subdomains, so you can now register just the root domain and it will work on all subdomains, like in you multisite network.

Also if anyone runs into trouble, when you embed on an https page you need to change the Uris in the embed codes to https as well.

• wpcdn
    • Syntax Hero

I've just enabled wildcard subdomains, so you can now register just the root domain and it will work on all subdomains, like in you multisite network

Excellent! That should still work for mapped domains too, right? (Even though they've mapped an external domain, the existing subdomain is still valid, I guess.)

Thanks,

Mark

• Aaron
    • CTO

That should still work for mapped domains too, right?

It uses the referrer header sent by the users browser, so a mapped domain has to be registered. Ways around that is to force the admin side to use orig subdomain, or on your plugin page put the video in an iframe within an iframe so that the referrer will be your root domain that hosts the iframe.

I'd like to reiterate the desire for the player skin elements to all be neutral colors (gray instead of blue, for example) if not configurable colors.

can you work up the code for a good default scheme and paste it here?
    http://flowplayer.org/documentation/skinning/controlbar.html

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.