Videos for members

Hey there!
I want to have a web app that will be for students at my university. I want to record sessions (using video camera) with tutors and have them available (upload them) to paid members of my site. I want them to be downloadable, but I also want to restrict downloads, sharing and use to members as much as possible. Do you have or can you suggest a plugin that or setup that will allow only users to view and download the videos. How can I upload and show the videos, WP has max 3mb upload? How can I integrate withe coursepress?
I KNOW THATS A LOT OF QUESTIONS.. I REALLY APPRECIATE IT :smile:

• Tyler Postle

Hey there Mwale,

Hope your day is going well so far. I'll address each question individually below :slight_smile:

Do you have or can you suggest a plugin that or setup that will allow only users to view and download the videos.

Our Membership 2 Pro plugin would be great for this. You can either wrap the embedded videos in a protection shortcode or you can protect the entire page. You can also protect media uploads as well although I don't think you should upload these videos to your WP media library, I'll address that in the next question.

How can I upload and show the videos, WP has max 3mb upload?

You can increase that limit via:

However, I'd highly recommend against hosting videos on your own server unless you know you have a dedicated server that is configured to host such resource heavy content.

Videos are very resource heavy because if you have several users all watching or downloading them at the same time then it can increase your bandwidth usage very quickly and also just storing them on your server takes up a lot of space. So if you're on a shared host then you will surely run into issues with hitting your resource usage limits and then your host might temporarily lock your account wondering why you are using so many resources... Long story short, hosting your videos externally with a proven video host is much more stress free! :smiley:

Here at WPMU DEV, we use Wistia: https://wistia.com/

Of course you can any other video hosting platform, there are lots out there. Vimeo and YouTube of course being very popular ones.

Here are some other alternatives: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/best-business-video-hosting-sites/

Each one of those providers will allow you to embed the video in your post and then you can wrap that embed in a Membership 2 Pro shortcode to protect the content to logged in users only.

How can I integrate withe coursepress?

CoursePress's video element supports YouTube and Vimeo out of the box. You can also just add the embed code into the regular text element. In this case, you wouldn't actually need Membership 2 Pro because CoursePress requires users to be registered in order to go through the course so that would be your required registration barrier.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.