Videos not viewable by public or members, only network admin

Hello

I am using a google video sitemap tool called Video Traffic Genius. I put a video on this post, but the video can only be seen my me as the network admin. The public or members can’t see it even though the category is set to public. Google sitemaps isn’t picking it up either.

http://supply-networks-that-learn.com/blog/videotrafficgeniustest/

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Dustin,

I’ll venture to guess there’s a shortcode restriction on that. Could you get us a screenshot of the rules section you have setup for the Stranger, I believe it’s the Public membership level per your other thread?

Thanks,

David

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Dustin,

It’s really the “Public Access” membership level page we’d have to see in order to see why the shortcode is being restricted. Could you get us a screenshot of that at Membership > Edit Levels, where you’d select to edit “Public Access” ?

Thanks,

David

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Dustin,

Thanks for that screenshot, that definitely helps. Did you by any chance need to restrict any other shortcodes for that particular level for any reason?

See, I’m thinking if you simply remove the shortcode rule there, then it will work exactly as you want it to. But if there’s a reason you had that shortcode rule there, we can see how else to accomplish your goal.

Could you perhaps remove that shortcode rule and see how that works out?

Thanks,

David

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

That shortcode isn’t displaying on the front end when I view the site, no.

When logged in as admin and as a member are you seeing that bare, non-rendered shortcode then?

Also, I didn’t see that shortcode [videotrafficgenius] listed in the shortcodes list. If it’s not listed in that list, I doubt Membership would be able to restrict it, so it’s odd that it wouldn’t display.

If you disable Membership you can see the video, correct?

• dustinmattison
    • The Incredible Code Injector

I turned off the membership plugin and I switched to a basic theme: http://supply-networks-that-learn.com/

Now you can see the videos, but now the video urls are showing above the videos.

What is going on with the membership plugin? If I enable it, the videos can’t be seen. Also, I created a public post and it is not viewable by the public, even though I set it to public: http://supply-networks-that-learn.com/?p=87

Dustin

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Dustin,

The posts being visible or not is likely related to the Post and Category rules are setup. To test if that’s the case, can you place your Post rule in the negative and invert the posts you have ticked there?

Regarding the video, I’m really wondering if it has to do with the shortcode not showing in that list at all. Could you possibly provide a complete list of the shortcodes that are available in your Shortcode rule or perhaps verify that that shortcode is in the list?

The screenshot you posted unfortunately doesn’t list that video shortcode and that may very well be the issue here.

Thanks,

David

• dustinmattison

David

I don’t understand what you mean by

The posts being visible or not is likely related to the Post and Category rules are setup. To test if that’s the case, can you place your Post rule in the negative and invert the posts you have ticked there?

Regarding shortcodes, I don’t think I am using any. I have a post called VTG test where I placed the following into the post:

test of video traffic genius, there should be a video below

[videotrafficgenius:CharlesEhin.mp4 FirstFrame.png 480 358]

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Dustin,

I just realized I didn’t give you a link regarding shortcodes earlier. Here’s more info on that.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Shortcode_API

The code you’re using is actually a shortcode, but I didn’t happen to see that shortcode in the screenshot you posted earlier, so I just don’t see a way that Membership could restrict it.

I don’t have that particular video plugin so there’s not really another way I could test this. To help resolve this more quickly at this point, if you’d like to provide a user account where I could login and see what’s occurring, I’ll be happy to take a look.

If that’s okay, you can send the login details through our contact form marked attention to David, along with a reference to this thread.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Thanks,

David

• dustinmattison

David

See message from the developer of the video traffic genius plugin. There is an issue with the membership plugin:

Re: VTG – sitemap error

Okay, there’s something wrong somehow with your blog. I’ve tried network deactivating VTG but it’s still there, activated.

Another is that the membership plugin seems to be messing with VTG. After deactivating the membership plugin, the video showed up.

On careful analysis, I was using a variable to store the blog’s location, which was of course:

http://supply-networks-that-learn.com/

With that membership plugin on, it was inserting some characters at the end each time i used wordpress’ function: get_bloginfo(‘url’:wink:.

http://supply-networks-that-learn.com/kdk01@$04040!!

So that’s what’s screwing up the embed.

Do you have contact with the plugin makers of the membership plugin? If you do, ask them about this (you can send them this message) and tell me what they have to say. Once I have their answer, that would clear things up.

Regards,

John

• dustinmattison

I think I found a partial solution, when I removed the Masked download URL the video is now viewable by non members.

So what should I do about masked download URLs? I dont’ know why the video is being classified as a download.

I am going to reiinstall my wordpress and start all over.

Dustin

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Dustin,

You shouldn’t have to reinstall WordPress for that. It seems it may be an odd bug related to the masked downloads that’s only affecting that video plugin. I’ll forward this additional information to the developer, that will definitely help get this sorted.

Thanks also for providing all that additional info.

-David

• dustinmattison

So what do I do now that I discovered the videos from that plugin were not viewable to the public when using the Masked Download URL? I will still need to use the masked downloads. How do I prevent the conflict with that video plugin?

Dustin

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

There are no common shortcodes as they are able to be created by each install to suit their own needs.

E.G if you create a shortcode in the options called protectthisbit and then use that to wrap a bit of content in a post, you can protect it from certain users / members.

• dustinmattison

So what do I do about the masked downloads problem I mentioned earlier?

I think I found a partial solution, when I removed the Masked download URL the video is now viewable by non members.

So what should I do about masked download URLs? I dont’ know why the video is being classified as a download.

• James Farmer
    • CEO (of WPMU DEV, honest)

Hi Dustin,

Just checking if it was eventually resolved in another thread or not? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you?

If so, no need to reply, that’s great news.

If not, could you let us know by re-opening this topic, and we’ll get onto it and helping you out asap!

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Cheers, James

• dustin
    • The Crimson Coder

It wasn’t totally resolved…

• dustin
    • The Crimson Coder

Phil, as I can recall the videos are in wp-content, but I don’t think they are in the uploads folder. I remember creating a folder called videos. I need to check where exactly I put that. This is the tool I am using: http://www.videotrafficgenius.com/traffic.php

The videos are kept here http://supply-networks-that-learn.com/video/

NOTE :: Image Folder URL and Video Folder URL are the relative path for the video files. It should end with a slash ( / ) and have permissions set to 755.

Example: http://mysite.com/video-files/)

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya guys,

Apologies again for the delay. I’ve asked Barry to stop by.

I’m wondering if you used the URL Groups feature to block the browser from going to the actual videos then they’d be able to view them inside the shortcode area, but not actually go to the full URL and download. Just a thought.

Thanks!

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

If the videos are not in the uploads directory then the obfuscation / protection code won’t be fired – it’s not good to use that anyway for videos.

If WP is being loaded then you can use URL Groups to protect the videos, but if it’s the loading of the videos by going directly to the URL then WP isn’t loaded and so can’t protect them.

I noticed that that the videotrafficgenius shortcode wasn’t showing on the part of the screenshot of your level? Is it available to be selected in the Rule? Also there is a blank on in there, which is strange, can you check you don’t have a blank line in your shortcode text area on the membership options?

• dustin
    • The Crimson Coder

Mason James

Sorry for not replying on this. I have been so busy with other things on my site. I tried to update my membership plugin and got this error:

Unpacking the update…

Incompatible Archive. PCLZIP_ERR_BAD_FORMAT (-10) : Unable to find End of Central Dir Record signature

Can you further explain this? What would you like me to do? I have to refresh my memory on this ticket:

I noticed that that the videotrafficgenius shortcode wasn’t showing on the part of the screenshot of your level? Is it available to be selected in the Rule? Also there is a blank on in there, which is strange, can you check you don’t have a blank line in your shortcode text area on the membership options?

Currently, the video is shown when logged out: http://supply-networks-that-learn.com/vtg/

• dustin
    • The Crimson Coder

I just noticed the membership plugin is not enabled right now. So I don’t know if the video problem has been solved. I might be better off just reinstalling this video plugin on my new site. I have not been using this current site recently and have fallen behind in updating it.

Do you want to try to install the video plugin on your end?

Dustin

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Dustin,

Well, I went to the site just now and wasn’t able to view the video at that link – so possibly the video issue is now sorted?

As for that particular plugin, do you have a link where we could download it and take a look?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Dustin,

I took a look at the site and as best I can tell, the issue is with the shortcode generation done by the Video Traffic Genius plugin conflicting with Membership’s own shortcode rules. We’ve created addons to help with popular plugins such as gravity forms, wp audio, and contact form 7. These addons are very simple to create (just a few lines of code). You can view them in your addons folder of Membership and one could be made to assist with the Video Traffic Genius plugin.

I wanted to create this myself, but for the life of me can’t figure out this plugin. I did a basic search for the word ‘shortcode’ inside the plugin folder and couldn’t find a reference to them anywhere.

Obviously, the plugin is using shortcodes and so you may be able to simply re-create the other addons and replacing the custom element with ‘videotrafficgenius’ instead of gravityforms, etc.

Hopefully this helps point ya in the right direction.

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.