Videos on wpmudev do not works on ipad

Hello,
I'm surfing on wpmudev with my iPad and none of the videos are viewable. If I touch the start arrow, nothing happens :slight_frown:
Certainly easy to fix.
Try https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/e-commerce/
Dimitri

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Dimitri,

Greetings and thanks for being a great member of the community.

I have noted this issue and am going to take it further for testing and see what the issue might be.

I would report back soon.

Cheers
    PC

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there.

PC and Kimberly asked me to look into this.

I've tested on my iPad and it works just fine here. The video is from YouTube and they support the HTML 5 tags for video.

iPad and iPhone don't support flash which is an issue if the video plays through flash, however YouTube changed this.

Are you up to date on the software?

Which browser is it in?

I tested in Safari & Opera, both work for me. Although Opera opened the youtube app.

Take care.

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

Hi @visitonweb The ipad and ipad2 behave very weird when it comes to video. I had a couple of short demo videos on my website and a friend was able to view them properly without installing anything to his ipad2. Then we met at a different restaurant for a business meeting and the same ipad2 would not pull up or play the video. After rebooting the ipad it said that he needed to install some sort of program to allow the video to play. We didn't have time to do that at the meeting and used the clients laptop. Ironically after we returned to my office he was again able to load and play the video without any problem. The videos I have posted were rendered as mp4 for the iphone. One of the reasons I still prefer a laptop. However if you or anyone else here figures out the problem I'd love to know as well. I'm sure I lose a bit of business since it seems that everyone is surfing using ipads.

Hopefully @Timothy or @PC will have a solution soon. As I described above it just doesn't make sense.

• Dimitri
    • The Incredible Code Injector

@Dean: Thanks for sharing your experience :wink:
    In this case, I try the see 2 youtube embeded videos on seperates website.
    One is working and the other one on wpmudev is NOT working.
    It is easy to think that there is a problem with the embeded code on wpmudev.
    Don't you think ?

Dimitri

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

@visitonweb would you mind sharing the links to the videos your talking about?

Also another test could be to visit my website and see if you can play the videos there.

http://www.kausvideo.com I know that the video on the right was rendered specifically for the ipad and iphone. So if that doesn't work I'm not sure what to think other then the connection speed may be slow.

I'll be on here for another 20 minutes or so tonight let me know if you can play the video clip from my site.

• Dimitri

@Dean.
    If I touch a video on your website on the homepage, I get the following message "You must install the Flash browser plugin to view this content.".
    It seems that you do not detect the browser source.
    Dimitri

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

Did you ever install the flash browser plugin on your ipad2? This may be part of your problem. I'll have to double check as that theme did just have an upgrade. I believe that it used to have some code at the beginning to determine what browser was trying to access the site.

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

I'm not sure as I was going off of the message you received about installing a flash browser plugin. I'll see if I can see how my friend is able to view my videos on his ipad.

I did notice that the first linked video you listed above is an Adobe Flash video. For whatever reason it appears that on my video was converted to flash, I'm uploading another version that I exported again for Apple. Will have to see if this works.

As far as flash I received information about 2 apps that should work one is called puffin app the other is called
    Skyfire which that one should be available from the app store. Hopefully one of these plugins will solve your problems. So far I'm glad I didn't get the ipad yet, another friend was supposed to attend a webinar today and was unable to connect.
    let me know if this one works
    Try to view the video that just has a video reel graphic and let me know if that works. If not I have to figure out why it doesn't Play on the Ipad2

• Dimitri

Hello,
    Skyfire is not a plugin, it is a independant browser.
    I tried with skyfire and skyfire try to convert the video as a flash video.
    That mean that the embeded code is not an html5 code or do not detect that the useragent is an ipad.

By the way videos from wpmudev.org do not works on my ipad2 with ios5.1.1 but it works perfectly with my iphone 3GS with ios 5.1.1.

Some website with youtube videos works on my ipad.
    As I said, not all websites with embed youtube videos are concerned.

Curious.

Dimitri

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

Sorry for the mixup. It's way past my bedtime and not thinking as clearly as I should.

That makes more sense now that he must be using that browser and the Puffin must be the app. I'll contact the theme developer tomorrow for my site and see why my site doesn't allow for the ipad to play the video that is rendered for apple ipod, iphone, etc... as mp4 and h.264 codec. Sorry I couldn't be of more help tonight.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Looks like we have got a great discussion going on here.

Thanks Dean for chiming in

@Dimitri : As its playing on Tim's iPad, I would suggest you to get in touch with Apple support and discuss it with them once.

Cheers
    PC

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

I'm on the latest iPad but I believe and will need to check but both IOS versions are the same at-least with regards to the browser.

As mentioned it works for me on there. The embed code I believe is direct from Youtube.

Skyfire is not a plugin, it is a independant browser.
    I tried with skyfire and skyfire try to convert the video as a flash video.
    That mean that the embeded code is not an html5 code or do not detect that the useragent is an ipad.

In addition to my iPad it also works on my iPhone.

Do you have Opera installed? Just wondering if it is the same there?

Take care.

• Dimitri

@Timothy,
    I tried with all the browsers i have on my ipad (Safari, Skyfire, Icab and Opera).
    Opera works differently. If i click on a youtube video, it open in youtube app.
    Other browsers tried to play it embeded in the web page but nothing happens.

Videos from the videos sections (not youtube) are working :slight_smile:

By the way, youtube videos are working perfectly on my iPhone 3GS with ios 5.1.1.

I do believe that i'm not the only person with that kind of problem.

• Dimitri

I made a litlle test.

I've embeded a wpmudev video (one that i can not see on wpmudev.org with my ipad) on one of my websites and this video is working embeded on my Ipad on my own site.
    That means that Youtube is not really the reason.
    It is maybe a wordpress or a specific plugin that cause this problem.

What do you think ?

Dimitri

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.