Voting bug in Q&A

Hi,

I was doing some testing on my site and noticed

If a user negative votes a question / answer by mistake or just testing it. The score goes to -1 . If they want to undo it right now they need to press the negative vote again. What would be more intuitive is pressing the positive vote would reset the score in this case to zero (0) - In our testing we found users would end up all now rating the question or answer to +1 votes as they were trying to reset a false negative vote to zero but choose the up arrow to do so hence giving it a +1 vote which was not intended.

Any quick fix for this?

Thanks

• aecnu

Greetings stephen_martin,

Thank you for this great question and bringing this significant issue to our attention.

I am sure the very responsive lead developer @Hakan would want to know about this issue first hand and not want a band aid approach to this issue though he will make that call of course being the lead developer of this project.

Therefore I will see if I can get Hakan in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• Hakan

Hi.

This is not a bug.

This is by design and there is nothing to be corrected.

On the tooltip it clearly writes that Click again to undo.

Sorry, but we cannot change this behavior just because you asked it so. There are thousands of working installations of this plugin. Then every user of them should change how to vote and unvote/undo. Do you think this can be acceptable?

However you are free to edit the files as you wish. You can start from "plugins/qa/default-templates/js/init.js' file.

Cheers,
    Hakan

• stephen_martin

mmm, thought I might get an answer like this. It is definitely a usability 101 issue when it comes to how users use websites. Nobody who works in web design today would agree with having this as a solution and rely on a default os tooltip, and that is why I brought it to your attention. so to answer your question, I would think it would be an acceptable update as right now it is not intuitive at all. 27 our of our 30 beta testers all failed on this particular part...I let the stats speak for themselves!

• Vin

I second Stephen's point. It is not a bug, but it isn't thought out well from a design's perspective. I, too, intuitively wanted to undo a wrong -1 by pressing the +1 and in my case the tooltip doesn't even register as showing (although it does show).

Besides, Hakan, Stephen didn't ask you to change this behavior in a major update, he asked for a quick fix. I find your answer a bit cocky! Please, tone down and try to provide value, not make people feel guilty for bringing up a potential flaw in the design!

• PC

Hello Vin,

Thanks for your post. it's a pretty old post to continue the discussion on and Hakan is no longer working with us.

Currently the plugin is being managed by Arnold and we are constantly taking feature requests for the improvement of the plugin.

I will request and really appreciate if you could kindly create a thread in "features and feedback" category on what you think does not work properly or is not correct from a design point of view and we will happily call our lead developer on the thread and discuss the issues in our team meetings as well

Thanks for being a great community member and we are standing by to help :slight_smile:

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• PC

Hey there Vin,

I tested this on my lab site and the observations are correct.

It can be made more intuitive where if someone has downvoted a question of an answer then clicking upvote or clicking downvote again, it should neutralize that vote.

Right now, clicking downvote again is neutralizing it, but clicking upvote is increasing the vote count to +ve.

I have jotted this down so that I can discuss this with our lead developer in the next developer meeting and will look forward to get this fixed in the future releases of the plugin.

Thanks for taking time and testing it again.

Cheers, PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.