VPS hosting

Hi.
I would like to ask about the minimum requirement I need to look for if I want to install WP multisite on a VPS hosting. This is because I am finding myself going slower on VPS than on shared hosting and am wondering if it is a Wordpress issue or that I muck up my server configs somehow. I've found a few writings on this, mainly on the RAM requirement, that might not be the issue since it seems that I do have RAM to spare. (Note too that I know I do not need VPS for my Wordpress yet - just getting one to force myself to learn a bit about server side.)

Running Centos5, powerpanel, whm/cpanel
check that php memory is 64
Only installed Wordpress, multisite enabled, buddypress enabled, only 3 test users and 3 test blogs (admin included) loaded about 25 themes and about 25 plugins (activated 12 plugins - mainly supporter).

My current VPS package offers:
1.8 Ghz Intel CPU
650 guaranteed memory - 1gb burst
Network port 100mbps

Is the above enough or barely meeting requirements for Wordpress?

Host help service seems to think I need more memory since WHM/cPanel min memory requirement is 512mb and php takes another about 25mb, and suggest I upgrade.

But I check the power panel and it seems I was only using between 300-500 of memory, though my load average sometimes hits 1.4 even though my CPU shows only approximately 4% usage.

Thanks for any advice.

tukkae

Hi -
    I love dark chocolate too - and almost killed myself on over-indulgence over the festive season. Sore throat now.

===

I think my host only offers Centos5 and Windows, and Virtuozzo power panels. Plesk and WHM are optional top-up. Thanks for the link - that means if I can learn enough not to need those GUIs, I'd have plenty of excess capacity!!! Hated those cutie big icons anyway... Running wordpress 3 on less than 80mb! oh my!

I'm not there yet though - still long long way to go...

wpcdn

Mike is right about the resources required for cPanel/WHM. We use them on dedicated servers and beefy VPSs, because we find them immensely helpful in managing many things. I've never been a command-line guy, and there are other benefits beside the GUI.

But, if resources are limited, Mike has steered you in a very good direction. Just make sure you are covering all potential security issues and other details.

Mark

wpcdn

I think *sigh* command line much harder than I am currently willing to admit.

Managing a server and learning command line (if you're not already familiar with it) can be complex. Don't feel bad, it's a lot to learn if you don't already know it. And everyone starts somewhere. We actually got into web hosting a few years ago because we weren't happy with the service and support we were getting from the big hosting companies. So we decided to do it ourselves. It took us a long time, and we are still learning every day.

The biggest question is whether you have the time available to learn all this. It takes a lot more to manage a server than it does to use hosting with cPanel or a similar GUI.

will worry about security after I manage to get wdpress up running.

I DEFINITELY wouldn't do it in that order. Running unsecured for any length of time is dangerous. We've seen new servers start to get hack attempts within a few seconds. Hackers often run bots that scan various IP addresses and ports. If they find vulnerable ports at a certain IP, they'll stop there and drill down to try and exploit those vulnerabilities. You could become a target very quickly. And, if you haven't hardended things at that point, the vulnerabilities are much more likely to be found and exploited.

What are some of the keywords I should keep in mind when I get to that stage?

Quite a few things, probably too numerous to mention here.

I think the biggest question is to ask whether you have the time and patience to learn all this. If you don't (for example, if you need to get up and running quickly), I'd suggest a managed VPS or server until you can handle it all yourself. I'd also advise caution if you choose one of the "cloud" VPS services. We've tested them extensively, and found that many of them have serious reliability issues. The cloud functions add layers of complexity, and not all providers have the redundancy you'd expect. Check the status blog (if available) of any cloud provider before deciding on them.

I'm wondering if you really need a VPS. (Not doubting it, just suggesting that you review the situation to be sure.) Shared hosting from the right provider can be fine. How big and busy do you expect your site to be (how many blogs, how many monthly pageviews on average, how much storage space, how much bandwidth, etc.)? If relatively small, your installation might be able to run fine on good shared hosting. Of course, if you expect to scale rapidly, a VPS or dedicated server might be best out of the gate so you can scale gracefully.

Mark

tukkae

Hi Mark,
    The answer is "no", I do not need VPS and yes I know I do not need VPS ^^. My family site that is keeping my extended family all over the world in touch is currently still on shared hosting. The one on VPS is just a test pet project. So I suppose I can call "VPS" an indulgence of sorts.

lol - I'm just a housewife and stay home mom looking for a new hobby that is as far from housework and motherhood that I can get without getting into -er- "extreme sports". I thought learning more about the backend of a well-known and well supported application like Wordpress might apply... and then of course I got that itch about not having to call up tech support each time I need to add an A, cname or mx record...

And of course -er- eventually show off to some old computer science friends who used to taunt me that I could actually get something up and running with a more than a basic understanding of the backend without having to pay a fortune for a college degree.

Its just that I do feel that I am doing things the wrong way round - Wordpress -> css -> html
    And recently started at php (still very lost there) and blah blah blah and yesterday I re-discovered ... the good ol command line

so yeah - more stupid questions to go, many many more...

And just want to say "thanks" for those tips - will stick with managed for a while more until I get some more understanding of security. Cheers