w3 total cache and wp multisite support

Hi,

From the reply of the author of w3 total cache here: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/420749, it seems that w3 total cache must be activated by each blog owner on a multisite installation. Is there a way to force the activation network-wide and disable non super admin users from changing the settings?

• Aphrodite
    • The Reaper

Hi !

I have installed it few minutes ago (and recompile my whole server to add the necessary php plugins) and it is just… incredible. Instant display etc !

I wrote them on the multisite issue and will share their answer as soon as it comes :slight_smile:

• Aphrodite
    • The Reaper

Ok no need to elaborate : I understood !!!!

So : despite the incredible improvement that provides, the per site install is a MAJOR risk issue !

– wp-content must be in 777

– htacces must be modified !

And that leave the admin pannel to users.

Conclusion : w3 total cache is NOT usable (in bold for our friend google^^) on multisite install, exept for the main site or personnal sites.

Lots of work still…..

• wpcdn
    • Syntax Hero

Has there been any update on this?

Regarding the settings, as I understand it, the plugin creates a separate caching instance for each user, and allows each user to set their own settings. (I could be wrong though.) I think that’s why it has to be activated for each user, to set up the settings for each user. I could live with that, but would rather have it all automatic. We’d definitely streamline the settings and hide a lot of stuff though.

With WP Super Cache, caching is network-wide. That can cause problems in a few cases when users modify themes and such, and occasionally the old pages are cached. But users don’t have the ability to empty the cache so they have to wait for the next scheduled purge. I like the idea of users having the ability to empty their own cache.

Mark

• qubestream
    • Flash Drive

Conclusion : w3 total cache is NOT usable (in bold for our friend google^^) on multisite install, exept for the main site or personnal sites.

I rolled out WP Super Cache to work with MediaTemple ProCDN and had to bail. It’s still not ready for Multi-site…

• wpcdn
    • Syntax Hero

I rolled out WP Super Cache to work with MediaTemple ProCDN and had to bail. It’s still not ready for Multi-site…

Can you elaborate on the problems you encountered? We are running WP Super Cache successfully in test mode. However, we have our questions about W3 Total Cache…would love to run it but not sure if it’s ready.

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Actually we just had a thread about this a few days ago where someone was trying to install W3TC and was going to allow end user admins run the settings. I was wondering about that.

I’m really against static pages. Most blogs only get a hit or two per page for the lessor pages. If not. Would be nice to do this on the popular pages but I think the processor has better things to be doing instead of creating those static pages.

I think half mode is best. Limit what’s cached to what’s needed every page view. And stick the data in memcache.

• C3MDigital
    • Flash Drive

The above statement is completely untrue. You will not be able to network activate it but you can generate the .htaccess file from the browser cache settings on the main site and it will be in effect for each site since .htaccess is shared. Also can activate it individually for each site and use the settings export from the main site and import them into each network site.

Also the development version which is very stable and will be released soon has some great new features including auto minify and I believe it supports network activation.

wp-content must be in 777

If your server and file ownerships are set correctly you shouldn’t have to change any folders to 777.

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Got confused. You guys are warping my poor little mind. Need coffee….

wp-super-cache works fine for our installs. Wasn;t a smooth setup the first couple times since you set it up by reading the error files but it works fine. We run it in half mode though.

Ask James, Edublogs was the test install for the plugin back in the good old days.

• Qlof
    • The Crimson Coder

According to this plugins page on wordpress.org it works with multisite. It doesn’t say anything about how to set it up though. If I understand all posts right the problem is that it needs to be configured on a blog-by-blog basis and can not just be activated sitewide and configured by the admin.

• wpcdn
    • Syntax Hero

Also can activate it individually for each site and use the settings export from the main site and import them into each network site

Frederick said a few months ago that, in a future version, the sub-sites would inherit the settings of the Super Admin site. Is this in effect now (if anyone knows)?

Thanks,

Mark

• wpcdn
    • Syntax Hero

Super Cache doesn’t have full multisite support either. Quick Cache does, including the ability for sub-site admins to clear their own caches. (This feature has to be activated with a snippet of code. There’s another thread in here somewhere explaining how to do that.)

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings All :slight_smile:

UPDATE: as of today 01/10/2012 I tried W3 Total Cache and it totally fried our WP 3.3 Network Install, luckily I had a backup.

Not only does it no work on a blog per blog basis, but when you un-install it – it deletes your db.php file from the wp-contents directory.

Even when it is activated on a blog per blog basis – it totally screws everything …. and I mean EVERYTHING up.

Word for the wise: Save yourself some major grief and avoid this for now.

Joe :slight_smile:

• nphaskins
    • Flash Drive

Well, I’m not experiencing any of the issues that anybody mentions here. I’m running a multi-site setup, with image uploads routed to S3, and served via Cloudfront. Each sub-site has it’s own configuration that gets copied over on a new install. Then, upon first login, all the user does is save the new cache file for the sub site.

This works perfectly for multi-site. You just need to set it up correctly. I have experienced zero issues with this, and in fact this evening started off-loading themes to S3, still working perfectly.

• nphaskins
    • Flash Drive

A little more on how I have this setup:

It’s activated individually on each site. I have a “template” blog that’s copied when a new site is registered. The ONLY, current drawback, is of course that the new blog doesn’t automatically change it’s total cache settings to be set with that blog. It warns that the default is in use, and to save a new one for the site.

It’s not a big deal, but does take going in and configuring for each new site. What bothers me even more is that when you try to import a config file, screen goes blank. I haven’t looked in logs yet but I have a feeling it’s a sub-site thing.

So, yes it works on sub-sites. I have sub-sites right now caching with apc, and those sites are also minified. Users can change themes, and it works without a hitch.

Last night I tried to offload themes, but I update my themes too much and don’t feel like waiting or purging cache, something the user shouldn’t have to do either. So, I have very much found the magic settings, at least for me.

I also have the Performance menu hidden from the sub-site users with Menu Editor Pro,the pro version of Admin Menu Editor.

I’m happy to answer any questions because I know this is a pain in the ass. It took me weeks to nail down perfectly.

• Matt F
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

It’s activated individually on each site. I have a “template” blog that’s copied when a new site is registered. The ONLY, current drawback, is of course that the new blog doesn’t automatically change it’s total cache settings to be set with that blog. It warns that the default is in use, and to save a new one for the site.

It’s not a big deal, but does take going in and configuring for each new site.

I’m curious if this can be automated in any way as wpengine has this exact setup (and from my research did a great deal of work to do so)

• taropaa
    • The Incredible Code Injector

I’m curious, couldn’t a plugin such as YD Network-wide options be used to broadcast the options you set in the main site to all sub sites. That is how I have it set up to port over all the plugins that don’t support multisite, and seems to be working in a semi-production environment.

You could then add a conditional permission to the W3 Total Cache plugin in order to only allow the superadmin and/or staff to access the plugin’s control panel.

One big possible issue is: what fi some of the sites have cloudflare and some don’t. Would that mess things up? What if some blog admin decides to set up his own cloudflare using a different email address. Would that require you to enable access for him/her.

I for one will wait for some official support on this to make sure it won’t screw up my install

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Jeazy :slight_smile:

Though this is relatively a very old ticket/posting – your addition is certainly appreciated and acknowledged.

However, as we have proven time and again caching on properly configured servers can actually slow the site down – unless for example the site is intentionally slowed down with bandwidth throttling etc. as some of the hosts obviously do and try to present it as a bonus … lol

Unfortunately most hosts care more about ROI then client site performance.

Joe :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.